yale HSA6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed system about 3 years ago. Works just fine. However last couple of days been getting single beep from control panel, but no indication what's wrong. Have deleted most of the sensors to try and isolate the problem. No luck. Alarm works OK and I change batteries when appropriate. Everything seems as normal but I'm reluctant to just turn off the warning beep which sounds about once every minute. No disturbance of sensors therefore doubt any problem with the tampers. Could it be the rechargeable batteries in the control panel need replacing - no mention of this in the manual. Help.

Sponsored Links
When was the control panel battery last changed ? I would suggest at least every three years, but others may differ in opinion. On the other hand it may not be anything to do with the battery, hang on until the Yale experts take a look at your post.

I assume that you are getting the beep and the fault light is showing.

Do you then mean that when you go into the programme menu the top option is fault log but when you select it it does not show any device or fault or do you mean that the fault log does not even show up at all and walk test is the top option?

The control panel batteries are good for 5 or 6 years so I doubt that is the issue.
Have you tried disconnecting the ac power lead to see if the system just dies?

Five or six years is good Mdf, what type of battery is used in these panels ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments. I replace sensor batteries with the recommended type but have not touched the controller rechargeable battery. I am only getting light from the normal green LED nothing from the fault amber LED. I tried turning off the mains for about ten minuets, the panel illumination went off as expected but system was still operational.
In the absence of any fresh ideas I think I'll try the reset procedure and see if that sorts it out.

Which seems to imply that by using a 2000 mAhr battery the battery life time will be three times that of the 600 mAhr battery that is fitted.

The 2000 mAhr battery will be able to supply power for about 3 times as long during a prolonged mains power cut before expiring. That is NOT the same as battery life time which is the length of time before the battery becomes un-able to supply adequate power during a power power cut due to old age and internal deterioration of the battery.

The life time is affected by many things, and one of those is the trickle charging rate. In some applications and with some types of battery chemistry a 2000 mAhr battery may have a shorter life time than a 600 mAhr battery. The trickle charging rate in some equipment may be more than adequate to stablise the chemistry of the 600 mAhr but in-adequate to keep the 2000 mAhr battery's chemistry stable. In which case the 2000 mAhr battery will deteriorate faster than a 600 mAhr battery in the same application.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes, you appear to have something there Bernard, so basically it depends on the ability of the power supply to trickle charge a larger battery. It certainly sounds correct with my limited knowledge of these panels. We change our trade installed batteries every three years and sometimes less if they are showing signs of deterioration. What's your take on this chaps problem then ?

I don't know if this has any bearing on your electronic theory Bernard. But the instructions with some of the smaller domestic panels we have used in the past stipulate that the battery should not exceed say 3.1 AH as an example, we therefore would not put a 7 AH battery in these panels as a matter of course.

Just as an aside I have never been approached to change a control panel battery nor have I ever come accross a failed battery since 2008. So thats 4 yrs to date with no consumers approaching me. I guess next year will see the first of the systems showing problems but at £20 ish for a replacement battery its not a big issue.

BERNARD
Re your thoughts I agree and to be honest the guy is selling batteries so his assertion that they need changing every three years is just bunkum as no doubt is the 9 yr claim.

Now to the OP and his problem.

It seems odd the panel is bleeping and yet neither a fault light or any entry in the fault log has taken place???

I don't see how the control panel can sense its internal battery state if it is plugged in to the charger anyway unless it can determine the charging rate and make assumptions from there.

So what you have is a continual bleeping warning sound but no faults showing in the system...??

Most odd - good luck with finding out what it is - If you find out please let us know.

It could be a faulty charger that is not fully charging the internal battery.
If the yale alarm has one Achilles Heel it is not the panels or devices but the plug in transformer/chargers.

The rest of the kit is made to spec but the chargers change on a regular basis presumably dependent on third party suppliers and stock availablility / price negotiation issues.
This means the most likely fail item on a Yale alarm is the charger.

Have you tested its output?
I had to swap one once as when I tested it it was only pushing 6v and the internal control panel battery had discharged as a result.

"to be honest the guy is selling batteries so his assertion that they need changing every three years is just bunkum"

Just for the record, we don't sell batteries every three years, we change them in accordance with the warranty agreement. That said, I have known batteries to be in perfect condition for four of five years.

On Wednesday evening I switched off the beep as it was a nuisance. I was out all day yesterday. This morning I switched it back on and lo and behold problem solved! The beep had been switched off about 36hrs.

By way of an analysis let me say that at no time have I seen any amber fault LED on the control panel. I don't think there has been any power problem. I have no keypad, keyfob, smoke detector and don't use home omit.
The only thing I can think of is that I put some extra insulating strip around the front door, this may have altered the door contact sensor gap by a fraction, it is now 7 or 8 m/m.

However, just a thought, all this occured over Halloween -- spookey eh!!

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions. teddie.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back