Yale night-latch broken and locked from inside!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please see picture.
The latch is locked down, and has broken off, we are locked in the house from the inside!

I can't take the door off, can't see how to open the lock up (no screws).
Help!

Sponsored Links
hey thanks for the reply!
I've tried that, but I think the hole/part when the snib slots into has come loose.

I can move it around with a screwdriver?
Any other ideas?

There isn't anyway of taking the lock apart as there are no screws.

The screws holding the cover in place are facing the keep - so no chance of taking it apart. It looks like a destructive approach to remove it, but I'd try a set of mole grips on the knob first and use brute force to turn it.

Sponsored Links
Try levering the door up slightly with a flat crowbar or wide chisel then open it at the same time. I think the door is dropping therefore the latch resting on the plate

screwdriver between lock and keep and see if theres enough give to clear the bolt

or angle grinder between keep and lock

other options include grinding off hinge pins knocking them out and levering the back off the door out

those yale cases are made of some cheap alloy

if you can lay your hands on an angle grinder, cut the case. A drill or hacksaw would do it slower.

If the plastic slider is still in place just use a small allan key in the hole and slide the mechanism up or down depending if it is fitted L/R handed. If the slider has dropped inside then use the allan key and a pair of molegrips. Place the right angled end of the allan key into hole and clamp the molegrips to the other end then with the angle end facing away from the keep wiggle about till you locate the notch in the locking bar then push it up or down again depending if its L/R handed to release. You should then be able to turn the mechanism to unlock. It sounds simple but I've just done it for my daughter and it took me all of three minutes.

If the plastic slider is still in place just use a small allan key in the hole and slide the mechanism up or down depending if it is fitted L/R handed. If the slider has dropped inside then use the allan key and a pair of molegrips. Place the right angled end of the allan key into hole and clamp the molegrips to the other end then with the angle end facing away from the keep wiggle about till you locate the notch in the locking bar then push it up or down again depending if its L/R handed to release. You should then be able to turn the mechanism to unlock. It sounds simple but I've just done it for my daughter and it took me all of three minutes.
Well if they hav'nt decomposed by now I'm sure that will help.
Check the date. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back