Yale Premium alarm upgrade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi the house i just bought has a yale standard alarm which they sell in argos now :D i have just bought a premium alarm half price :cool: so that i can connect to phone to alert my moblie incase of burgary.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the exsisting yale sirens that are already fixed to the wall and just program the new premium alarm control panel in to the existing system?

Also the standard pir's and keypad could these be use on the premium alarm as this would be addded security :D

thanx for any help ,i just found this forum and its been a great help alredy with moving into an old house i have lots of DIY to do ,cheers:cool:

Sponsored Links
hi the house i just bought has a yale standard alarm which they sell in argos now :D i have just bought a premium alarm half price :cool: so that i can connect to phone to alert my moblie incase of burgary.

I was wondering if it is possible to use the exsisting yale sirens that are already fixed to the wall and just program the new premium alarm control panel in to the existing system?

Also the standard pir's and keypad could these be use on the premium alarm as this would be addded security :D

thanx for any help ,i just found this forum and its been a great help alredy with moving into an old house i have lots of DIY to do ,cheers:cool:

Hi Mike, It is oerfectly possible to programm the existing devices into your system as you mention.

However , just a warning.
1. Do you know how much life is in the existing sensor and siren batteries?
If not it may be prudent to change the batteries before continuing.

Firstly you will have to change the dip switch in the existing sirens to change them from master to slave mode. To do this you need to set dip switch 4 off.
It is worth clearing the existing sirens memories too.
To do this you need to switch off the sirens with the on off switch and then turn dip switch 1 on. hold down the learn button. There may be a weak beep at this stage. Then switch the siren power back on and when the lights and beeps stop push dip switch 1 back off.

You are then in a position to learn all the existing sirens and sensors into the new system.

It is easier to do this with them all near the new control panel so while you have opened them to change the batteries just take them together to where the new control panel will be and learn them in before remounting them back in the existing holders.

ok thanks fastalarms,thats good info :D it still means i ll have to get the ladder out :D i suppose i could haave 2 alarm sirens front and back by using the new and the previous sirens :D

ok thanks fastalarms,thats good info :D it still means i ll have to get the ladder out :D i suppose i could haave 2 alarm sirens front and back by using the new and the previous sirens :D

Yes ladder out I'm afraid to switch the dip switches and press the learn button when needed.
As mentioned swap the batteries too if the system has been in place a couple of years.

Are you sure the existing system has TWO working sirens already not just a working one and a dummy?

You could swap the dummy for a new working one and have two working sirens then.
The spares can then go on the garage or even a friends or your mums house as a visual deterent.

Are they all 6000 series.. ie all circular sirens or have you some 300 series square ones there?

Sponsored Links
Are all devices compatible between systems?
I have a standard yale system but I would like to add a family system so I can add upstairs sensors and have a part set. However I want to add pet friendly sensors in a room upstairs where we have guinea pigs.
I want to have a fully comprehensive system that will give full security/

last poster

i think the systems are compatiable as i have set my premium alarm on the previous yale sensors window /door pirs.

:?: Is it possible to turn the backlight OFF on the premium alarm control panel?

:D

It isn't possible to turn off the backlight unfortunately.

Why do you need to do this?

If it is to hide the control panel from prying eyes in the dark I wouldn't be too worried.

The panels are very robust and I have experience of two that were deliberately attacked in an effort to defeat the alarm and both attacks failed to silence the alarm. One including bashing the case with a wrench and stamping on it breaking the LCD screen and another involving hitting against the floor until the case cracked. In both cases the internal circuitry still continued to work and the alarms still sounded.
If it is because the panel is in a room you sleep in and the light is annoying then you could place the panel elsewhere or you could mount it other than on the wall.
You can place the panel anywhere even on a table or under a bed. If you use a remote keypad to control the alarm you only ever need to go back to the panel to reset the system if the alarm is ever activated.
Just remember to take the mounting bracket off the wall and fasten it onto the bottom of the control panel otherwise the panel tamper microswitch will keep registering a fault.

ok thanks it doesn't bother me too much i just wandered if i could turn backlight off :D as u say if you have remote you can place it anywhere..so i will be putting the control panel in the basement out of the way :D :D

......SORRY More q's :D you have been v helpful thanks

The only thing thats missing from this great alarm is that you cant put a simcard in to make it dial out if alarm is triggered,do you think yale will make an add on to plug into the phone connection to make it fully wireless.

Alsowhen i unplug my ac adapter / the power from the ac panel i get a warning light on the ac panel,is this normal because i thought it had a battery inside which lasts 35hours?

......SORRY More q's :D you have been v helpful thanks

The only thing thats missing from this great alarm is that you cant put a simcard in to make it dial out if alarm is triggered,do you think yale will make an add on to plug into the phone connection to make it fully wireless.

Alsowhen i unplug my ac adapter / the power from the ac panel i get a warning light on the ac panel,is this normal because i thought it had a battery inside which lasts 35hours?

Your control panel will last for 10hrs without power not 35 I am afraid , allthough I don't know of any panel that lasts 35 hrs with the power off. I believe the spec for approved systems is 12 hours.
If you are just disconnecting the power to use the plug for something else
you can stop the warning bleep when the mains is absent but you can't stop the yellow warning light.

As for phoning out without a phone line ,
I have successfully added these items before , however you will still need mains power. http://www.global-gadgets.com/House..._On_Module_Works_With_Most_Alarm_Systems.html

The non telecommunicating 6200 alarm does work without mains for up to 2-6 years dependent on use.

You can run both the Yale and the GSM unit from a car battery but I haven't tested them to see how long that would last.

I don't know if anyone on here can do the maths.[/url]

TA AGAIN :D :D

R the sirens on the outside meant to make a beep when alarm activated / deactivated? can that be turned off :?:

TA AGAIN :D :D

R the sirens on the outside meant to make a beep when alarm activated / deactivated? can that be turned off :?:

it needs to be or you may be on the wrong end of an enforcment notice.

[code:1]t needs to be or you may be on the wrong end of an enforcment notice.[/code:1]

i would prefer the sirens not to beep ,but how do i change to no beep? :D

[code:1]t needs to be or you may be on the wrong end of an enforcment notice.[/code:1]

i would prefer the sirens not to beep ,but how do i change to no beep? :D

I am surprised your sirens are beeping as the default is for no confirmation beep with the 6400 system. The 6200 system has the beep as standard.

With the 6400 system to turn the beep off do the following.

press the PR button and enter your code followed by the tick button

scroll down the menu to the 'devices' option and press tick
scroll down now to the 'program siren' menu and press tick
scroll down this menu till you you see the option 'confirm off'
Press tick to select this option.
After you have selected that option just backspace out of the menu system till the panel says alarm off.

(PS You would not get an enforcement notice regarding the sirens current confirm beep and any Yale owners out there need not worry as the poster above is incorrect.)

tthanks john45 that worked i thought the conform was to do with the tamper thanks for your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back