Yale sensors send and receive?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I know that when you are "learning in" sensors, they send a signal to the panel or siren so it recognises them in future. But does the panel or siren also send a signal back to the sensor?

I am looking after two empty houses now. If i use a keyfob on one of the systems, can I use it on the other system as well, by the siren learning to recognise it?

Or will the keyfob take an instruction from the siren, and learn to recognise only one system?

It would be much more convenient for me to only carry one keyfob.

Sponsored Links
For the benefit of anyone else wondering, I asked Yale this question, and they said that the keyfob does not receive or store any information from the siren, so it can be used by more than one siren if you want

I looked at the tech spec, which says that the keyfob (and the PIR, door sensor etc) is just a transmitter (no receiver) and the siren is just a receiver (not a transmitter). So the keyfob does not know which siren has learned it, or if it has been learned by more than one, or if it has not been learned by any at all. Equally the siren does not know if it is the only siren using that keyfob or one of many.

This incidentally seems to to answer the question "can you use multiple siren boxes on one system". Since the siren has no way of knowing if there is another siren, and the devices have no way of knowing how many sirens are receiving them, there seems to be no reason why you shouldn't have as many sirens as you want on the Yale system.

Hi JohnD,
Been away skiing this week so missed this post.

With the 6400 system you can add multiple sirens to the system. The system has 20 zones for devices such as keypads , pir sensors , and door contacts , help buttons etc and single alarm zone which allows multiple sirens to be programmed in.

With the 6200 systems where the siren is the master with extra sirens what you are effectively doing is creating alarm systems using commin devices.
So allthough you can add extra sirens to the 6400 system with the 6200 system you aren't actually adding extra sirens. What you are doing is programming different sirens to acccept the same trigger devices.
I have programmed two sirens to use the same devices without any problem whatsoever allthough Yale themselves don't endorse this method.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes the devices only transmit but they must continually send 'status reports' as well as activation alerts as the control panel can tell when a device battery is low and reports this on the fault log.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back