Yellow staining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Newly painted ceiling has caused this yellow spotting to come through the new paint in a small box back bedroom and on the landing ceiling.
House is relatively old with the previous owners not doing much in terms of painting.
After noticing the colour coming through, we have since scraped and sanded down some of the ceiling waiting until it's all dried more to do more scraping and sanding in hopes it will rid of it.

What sort of paint do I need / how to remove this?
Is it nicotine?
Any help appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240310-175805.png
    Screenshot_20240310-175805.png
    902 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20240310-175800.png
    Screenshot_20240310-175800.png
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
I may be wrong, but it looks to me as if it is previously cleaned, or developing mould spores, caused by condensation.
Have you checked to see if the insulation in the roof space is properly rolled out over that area, is an appropriate thickness and is dry?

I may be wrong, but it looks to me as if it is previously cleaned, or developing mould spores, caused by condensation.
Have you checked to see if the insulation in the roof space is properly rolled out over that area, is an appropriate thickness and is dry?
Thanks for replying but yes all insulation above is dry and appropriate thickness had it all checked and checked myself, boarding all seems fine from above also

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back