Yellow water after new sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced my cloakroom sink and loo two weeks ago. I removed the old and installed the new. The position changed for the sink very slightly, so I renewed the pipework over about 1 and a half metres, I used copper pipe and compression fittings in the main and 2 speedfit elbows as these were out of sight. The sink runs fine etc. But the water is an odd yellowy colour, it runs clear, then yellow then clear again and stays like it. This is only since the new sink. To get the same effect the sink must be left several hours. I assume somesort of corrosion in the pipework, but am unsure.

Any ideas ?

Ta

Andy

Sponsored Links
Is there any steel pipe?

Did you use wire wool to clean the pipes?

Have you got a water softener?

Has a plumber been peeing in your tank?

JohnD said:
Is there any steel pipe?

Did you use wire wool to clean the pipes?

Have you got a water softener?

Has a plumber been peeing in your tank?

Do you live in Saffron Walden :LOL:

I did indeed use wire wool to clean the pipes, I don't have a water softener, I don't have any non-copper pipes in the house and as far as I know a plumber has not been near my water tank!!!

Andy

Sponsored Links
My only reasonable guess is that a wisp of steel wool has got lodged in the pipe and is rusting away.

If this is right, and if you take the tap off, it may get flushed out. It could be lodged in the tap now.

That sounds like a reasonable explanation. As the installation is quite limited on space, what is likely to happen if I just leave it alone?

Andy

I guess it is just a little bit and will rust away soon.

Keep an eye on the sink as the rust will stain it. You can remove rust stains (even on glazed ceramic) using Jenolite, which is an acidic rust remover found at some motor accessory shops.

Many thanks, the problem seems to have started to sort itself out nicely. The yellow tinge was noticeably less today than yesterday. I think the fragment of rusting wire is pretty much rusted away.

Thank you for you guidance.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back