Yellow wire??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just taken down an existing pendant light. There are two cables, two red wires going into a connection block, one blue/one black going into another, one yellow going into a third and a green/yellow going into a fourth. The previous owner had the live going into the yellow, blue to the blue/black, earth to earth with the red left empty. Surely the red's are the lives?

Sponsored Links
i dont understand what your sayin. is the 3C+E going to a fan?

a diagram would be better

Could it be;
reds are phase loop in & phase down to switch
yellow switched phase back to fitting
Black/Blue are neutral
If so I would imagin the switch is being used as a junction box to other light circuit.

Just an idea.

Sponsored Links
Which is to say, yes, the red is likely the permanent live. This then goes off via the other red to the switch, and comes back on the yellow. Why the neutral is also going off down to the switch is a mystery. All assuming one of the cables is 3 core and earth containing red, blue and yellow as well as a a sleeved earth.

I agree comms, dom.

Thw switch could possibly be a 2 or 3 gang feeding another light.

You guys are helpful!
I now have a further problem with this light. It won't turn off!
I have 2 dimmers, one for the ceiling pendant and one for wall lights. The ceiling won't turn off and the wall lights won't dim (both issues were existing before I changed the wall and ceiling lights, well the ceiling did dim before).
Wiring:
Damocles is right
Ceiling-I now have 1 black 1 blue into a block with the light's blue connected
I have two reds into the block with the light's brown connected
I have the earth's connected
I have 1 yellow into the block, no other wire connected.
I have 5 x 40W standard bulbs and the dimmer is rated to 400W

The wall light dimmer
I have two reds, one into L2 and one into the lamp connection in the switch.
Two blacks are going into a separate block, nothing connected.

The ceiling light dimmer
I have two reds tied together going into L2 and one yellow into the lamp connection in the switch.
A black and a blue are as above into a block.
This is a 400W rated switch with two standard 40W bulbs in the lights.

Please help, divorce imminent!!!!

Ok, ceiling light.

Brown from light to the YELLOW (put some red sleeve on it).

The RED is CONSTANTLY live.

Are the dimmers on the same plate?? Or seperate??

Did the wall lights dim before??

A photo would be good, if you can.

What terminal on the dimer do you call 'lamp connection'?? The wiggly line with an arrow through??

I will move the light live to the yellow.
Dimmers:
2 separate plates. The wall lights did not dim before. Lamp connection is indeed wiggly line with arrow thru. Sorry for the ignorance, I have done these before but always copied, sure that's a familiar story! Sorry photo not an option, digital camera is still packed somewhere!!!

If you can get one of the dimmers to dim (ceiling), can you swap the two dimmers like-for-like to see if the dimmer has gone squit.

The wall lights turn on and off i guess??

Ceiling light correctly wired and working, 2 knackered dimmers replaced and everything doing what it should be!

Thankyou so much!!! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back