Yellow Wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Did this question ever get resolved? I have the same issue.

I have removed the existing light fitting and wish to fit a pendant (fed up of having multiple bulbs and just want one now). On removing the existing light fitting I have discovered the following:

2 blue wires and 1 black wire going into the same block (blue one side and black the other)
3 red wires going into a 2nd block (two into one side, one into the other)
2 yellow wires going into a 3rd block
Green and yellow wire going into a 4th block

However, the new pendant only has 3 blocks (live, loop and neutral). I presume that I re-wire them as follows:

2 blue wires and black wire into neutral block keeping the black wire separate (there is already a blue wire into one of the screws in the pendant)
3 red wires into live block (though there is only one free screw - the other has a brown wire going into from the pendant)
Green and yellow one into the earth screw

Are my assumptions correct?

I am left with a block that says "loop" - is this where I should put the yellow wires?

Sponsored Links
What colours did the old lights Live and Neutral connect on to , would be a good start.

Hi,

The old light fitting was wired directly to the electrical blocks and screwed to the ceiling. The issue I have is that I can't re-use these electrical blocks because I want to fit a new pendant that has its own set of blocks. I'll see if I can get some pictures uploaded when my wife comes back - she has a phone with a camera.

Thats ok, but did you note what blocks the flexy cables from the old light was connected to.
Do not part any wires till your sure.
The stiffer type cables were right before and will remain joined the same with the new light.
Just all joined in the rose, but the same groups as was before.

Sponsored Links
yes, but some of the connector blocks would have been wired to the light fitting itself, and there would be one set of wires in a block on their own (presumably). those wires would go to the loop terminal in the centre of the new rose.

you need to identify which set of wires is the switched live ie becomes live when the switch is turned on. it is the switched live wires that go to the L terminal of the rose (where the brown flex of the pendant is).

Hi,

Just had a look at the other light and the yellow seems to go in the same one as the brown. I'll give that a go!

Thanks for attempting to help - I apologise if I am unclear as I don't know the correct terminology

(there is already a blue wire into one of the screws in the pendant)

Your neutrals would go there , the block where the old light,-- blue flex was connected

(though there is only one free screw - the other has a brown wire going into from the pendant)

That will be your switched lives,once you determine what block/ colour they were, they would have been where your old light,-- brown flex was connected

Green and yellow one into the earth screw

I am left with a block that says "loop" - is this where I should put the yellow wires?
Thats all the feeds (normally 1 or more reds), the block that was not connected to the old light.

ISOLATE the supplys before working on the circuit

Thanks - looking at the other light it seems that the yellow goes with the brown in live, the blues and blacks go in neutral and the reds go in loop.

Will let you know if it works...

Sounds like you have, Two lights working from one switch, hence the Two yellow switch lives.
As you say, connect them to the row that has the brown pendant flex in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back