YET ANOTHER 2 WAY PROBLEM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
I have just put in a new lighting circuit in my cellar for a conversion. I have connected to each switch the Live (from new fuse) to common neutral to term block, then switched live (L1) to light fitting and again neutral to term block....the constant live to common in the first switch i have then taken to the next switch and so on!!! Here comes the problem....i wish to two way the light at the bottom of the stairs!!!! .

The original switch upstairs is two gang two way with a piece of wire from common to common. (no others wires in switch for cellar light) The new switch (cellar) has the live in common, switched live (to light) in L1 and neutral to term block...I then have just 2 core between switches....can this be 2 wayed??
I have tried seemingly numerous combinations with no sucess...i only ever manage to be able to switch on and off at the same switch and not between the two!!!
your help would be greatly appreciated!!!
cheers
Gazza!!!

ps i cannot put any more cable in as it has now been plastered!!!

Sponsored Links
I must admit I've not read your post in detail to try and get my head round what you've done, as the key word here is diagrams.

1) One from you, showing what wiring you have.

2) Ones for you to look at of lighting circuits in For Reference and or the Wiki, showing what you should have.

gazzaharwood said:
ps i cannot put any more cable in as it has now been plastered!!!
Please prepare yourself for the possibility that you are stuffed.

thanx for the reply...i will try to do a diagram, but im off to blackpool in a minute so i will try and do it tomoz..please keep a check on this post!! your help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Gazza!!!

yes if i am reading your post correctly. in the two gang switch put the two core between switches in L1 & L2 leave then link in between common terminals. then in the one gang switch put the live out in C in the switch with the two core in L1 & L2 again, lastly put your live feed on a connector block on its own ( you dont need it.)

Sponsored Links
yes if i am reading your post correctly. in the two gang switch put the two core between switches in L1 & L2 leave then link in between common terminals. then in the one gang switch put the live out in C in the switch with the two core in L1 & L2 again, lastly put your live feed on a connector block on its own ( you dont need it.)
Fireman 22,
your a genius!!!

i read this post literally 10 minutes ago, ran downstairs, and wired the switches up....and hey presto....BANG!!!....only kidding, worked like a charm!!! Too many lives!!!
i dont have to ruin the plaster work now...thanx mate!!1
if ever your in my neck of the woods i will buy u a couple of pints!!!

yours gratefully

Gazza!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps thanx to ban all sheds too!!! iwas about to draw a diagram for you when i thought i would check to see if i had recieved any new posts
cheers
Gazza!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back