Yet another localised breakout but hey, let’s not say anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a car meet up the road yesterday - police and council apparently approved it.
Cannot understand why.

IMG_20200802_113902032.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yeah. A lot of people don’t like football.
Sorry but that's a common factor in both cases, a lot of people don't like Muslims.
There's Islamophobia, but I've never heard of footballophobia. :whistle:

Maybe there's a subtle difference, your comment, and the two possible meanings.
"A lot of people don't like football", i.e. are actively hating of football.
Or "A lot of people don't like football" i.e. a lot of people are ambivalent towards football.

Islamophobia definitely means a lot of people are actively hating of Muslims.

Maybe that explains the different approaches to the two incidents.

The same peole who were intelligent enough to decide on the complex issue of Brexit are not too stupid to follow simple rules.

Shrodingers Citizen - both intelligent and stupid at the same time.

The common element in both Brexit and the curent farcial response is that the Government has let the public down.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but that's a common factor in both cases, a lot of people don't like Muslims.
There's Islamophobia, but I've never heard of footballophobia. :whistle:
Are you falsely assuming that people who hate football automatically hate all football fans?

Does it?

Can one not hate a religion - or all religions - without hating the people?

These words are bandied about willy-nilly so that people don't really know what they are supposed to mean.

Are you falsely assuming that people who hate football automatically hate all football fans?
No, but it's eminently possible that people who dislike football do so because of the football fans.

I said:
Do you want my opinion, or a dictionary definition?

Can one not hate a religion - or all religions - without hating the people?
Yes, of course, but it wouldn't be Islamophobia.
It might be religionophobia. :whistle:

These words are bandied about willy-nilly so that people don't really know what they are supposed to mean.
Do you mean that the words are used intentionally to disguise their meaning?

No, but it's eminently possible that people who dislike football do so because of the football fans.
Bizzare conclusion...I dislike footy and F1 because they bore the tìts off me..Nothing to do with who likes them.

Bizzare conclusion...I dislike footy and F1 because they bore the tìts off me..Nothing to do with who likes them.
But you must accept that it is the behaviour of some of the fans that turn some people away from some sports, events, etc.?

So it is not actually the football that they dislike.

Do you want my opinion, or a dictionary definition?
I will for this discussion accept the (semantically incorrect) general usage of 'phobia'.

Yes, of course, but it wouldn't be Islamophobia.
It might be religionophobia. :whistle:
Ok, but that religionophobia must include islamophobia.

Do you mean that the words are used intentionally to disguise their meaning?
Not to disguise, as such, but I would think the words are (mis)used intentionally to confuse people because when words are misused it is unclear what is actually meant.
Either that or it is the case that people of influence in the media are not actually intelligent enough to know what the words mean nor, therefore, do their job properly.

Take the example of Jeffrey Epstein; it is commonplace by reporters for his name to be preceded by "the paedophile" even though he was not accused nor charged with that crime.
Is this because the speaker does not know what 'paedophile' actually means or are they just being sensationalist for some reason with the intention of confusing and winding-up the people?

Take the example of Jeffrey Epstein; it is commonplace by reporters for his name to be preceded by "the paedophile" even though he was not accused nor charged with that crime.
""""""In 2005, police in Palm Beach, Florida, began investigating Epstein after a parent complained that he had sexually abused her 14-year-old daughter.[7] Epstein pleaded guilty and was convicted in 2008 by a Florida state court of procuring an underage girl for prostitution and of soliciting a prostitute.[8] He served almost 13 months in custody, but with extensive work release"""":Splitting hairs again Tefal.Whether 13 or 14..still underage.

Off again spitting hairs as is your obsession...You can probably never grasp Gay means anything other than jolly.
No, I accept that. Not splitting hairs; two totally separate hairs.

Does it stand for as Good As You or is that a myth?
I could call you gay for going out with woman. Would you split hairs about it?
Totally irrelevant though.

Language evolves.
Only because of misuse due to ignorance becoming so common place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back