1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Yet another numb question!

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by Tundrawolf, 17 Apr 2008.

  1. Tundrawolf


    11 Apr 2008
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

    Sorry for yet another numb question

    I have just posted this by mistake on the building forum so have also posted here as well!

    I am doing some work with a friend on his bathroom, it is an 1850@'s build and a lot of the work is of a pretty poor standard.
    We have decided to put a shower in one corner but as there was so much flex in the plaster board (stud batten) and a 40mm difference between the top & bottom (leaning out) we decided to rip it all off and start again. Three of the walls are external, now I need to know what is the best way forward, I have used dot n dab with 19mm plasterboard planks in the past which were a joy to use but I am not sure that they will be ideal in this situation, would I be better with 12.5mm foil backed instead. And I take it if I do use 12.5mm foil backed then I will be unable to use dot n dab and must use battens. If I did use dot n dab what do you think would be the maximum thickness of adhesive I could use to take up some of the difference in the plumb of the wall?
    Out of interest the back wall was 40mm out of plumb because somebody capped off a steel pipe and left it a foot out of the floor (still connected to the main but that's another thread!) If I am able to get rid of the pipe it will mean I will be about plumb. I should also say that there is no damp on the walls, (apart from where I undid the blanking plug on the steel pipe ) So glad I didn't use my angle grinder!

    Thanks for your time!

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Richard C

    Richard C

    26 Apr 2005
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's always best to leave it alone; either the mods will move it or we will spot it anyway. :rolleyes:
  4. DIYnot Local

    DIYnot Local

    3 Sep 2019
    United Kingdom

    If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

    Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

    Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local


Share This Page