Yet another PIV question, sorry! Suitability/location for a looooong Basement flat...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[Moved from Your Projects forum to abide by forum rules]
Morning all - yes I've searched the forums and nothing matches my situation as far as I can see, so here goes:
Victorian (c. 1865) basement flat beneath 5 floors. Our floor is concrete over brick and there's probably no DPC to speak of and airborne damp is a constant problem (we run at about 75%-80% all year round).
Next to us on one side is another flat of identical design, on the other side was a bomb site until 1965 when a large block of flats was put up. Front is a smallish courtyard, rear is a garden up a flight of stairs; our ceiling line is level with the pavement out front and the garden out back. There's a smallish lightwell near the rear of the flat which is level with our floor level.
The hallway runs the length of most of the flat and is 11m long, and its plasterboard false ceiling is about 700mm lower than the sitting room and bedroom alongside it. The utilities and so on run along it. The door to the lightwell has a transom above it which can be accessed from this crawlspace so would be an ideal site for a PIV inlet grille. Or would it?
At the back of the flat further on from the hallway is the kitchen, a spare bedroom and a bathroom off the rear bedroom.
There is an airbrick at the front wall of the main lounge and in the master bedroom, and I've fitted a humidistat DMEV fan in the bathroom. We always run the extractor fan when using the kitchen.
Very rugh plan of the flat attached below.

SO the question is, if I fit a PIV with heater, it would have a lot of work to do considering the length of the hallway and the other rooms at the back add another couple of rooms and 10m to the overall length of the flat. Where should the outlet be, would it cope or do I need one at each end of the flat, or a more powerful one that I can duct to two or three outlets?

Attachments

• Flat plan.jpeg
    Flat plan.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back