Yet another shed project!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Pretty new here, but I've been doing a fair bit of research on this so plans are taking shape, but I still need some guidance on lots of areas.

I've looked at the pre-fab sheds, and been pretty horrified at how flimsy yet expensive they seem to be. Don't seem good value at all. Also, I need a shed for now, but was also planning a home office/summerhouse later on in another part of the garden.

So I'm now thinking I could have a crack at building the shed myself, and use what I learn to see if building the summerhouse might be a DIY task too.

Two things I'm thinking about at the moment are the foundations, and the cladding.

In terms of the foundations, do I really need to build a solid concrete foundation, or could I use an alternative such as concrete blocks or similar at key points to provide similar support but also improve ventilation at the same time?

For the cladding, I really like the look of batten and board cladding rather than the T&G type. I'm not sure exactly what timber I should buy for this though. Any advice on that would be gratefully received. I have a good value timber yard nearby, but they're not AT ALL helpful to DIYers such as myself (in fact they're pretty rude to everyone as far as I can tell), so it's not a place to ask questions.

Sorry for the length of this post, but just wanted to give a bit of context to the seemingly daft questions.

Sponsored Links
I have a good value timber yard nearby, but they're not AT ALL helpful to DIYers such as myself (in fact they're pretty rude to everyone as far as I can tell), so it's not a place to ask questions.
Amen to that brother! :p

you will get a better shed making it yourself if done propperly

but your talking 50-100% more in cost

That's what I'm hoping.

Any thoughts on what timber I could use for board and batten walls? Have you tried this yourself?

Sponsored Links
if you are absolutely against using concrete consider building a timber frame on top of wooden piles or foundation blocks. little bit of concrete wouldnt go a miss under foundation blocks even if it comes in the form of a premixed post crete.

Sorry, realised I didn't fully explain why I don't want to use a concrete base.

I have a position for the shed now, but it may well need to be moved if / when we build a house extension next year. So don't really want to go to the effort of a concrete base when the whole thing may need to be shifted 10-20 feet in a year's time.

Thanks @munchingB - foundation blocks plus timber sounds a good way to go. Some strategically poured concrete under those wouldn't be such an issue if I had to move the shed.

I would pick a spot where it can stay forever it will likely be a lot heavier than any cheap, fence panel type shed you get most places.

Any thoughts on what timber I could use for board and batten walls? Have you tried this yourself?

It's usually 6" boards with a 3" cover strip I think, but it will depend what is available locally. Wider boards will mean less work but they might work out more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back