Yorkshire boarded store

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thoughts on Yorkshire boarding please?

I'm building a garden store 6m x 1.2m pent roof. Divided in half. Each half will have a pair of gates. One half for a bin store and the other lockable for storing garden tools.

My thought was that Yorkshire boarding will allow some ventilation to the bin store while being more secure than normal cladding. As I understand it this means nailing gravel boards vertically. I would use 150mm gravel boards with a 10mm space between each. The shed would be made from treated CLS on a concrete slab and I would nail or screw each board top, bottom, middle.

Thoughts please? Potentially I could ply line the lockable half to get a bit more security?

Roof I was thinking of OSB and EDPM.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The old saying I've heard was along the lines of the thickness of your board is the size of the gap.
So if the boards are 20mm thick then the gap is 20mm.

If you build it with rough sawn timber, and the boards butted up against each other, they will dry out leaving a gap which will allow some ventilation.

You can have the gap whatever you want, a log shed might have a 2-3" gap

You could make more secure by lining with wire mesh without hindering ventilation .

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back