Young to pay higher taxes to fund women who retired early

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I'm struggling with this, and no doubt the usual forum morons will say its because I hate women..

But on the radio today, one was claiming that she was in poverty because she chose to retire at 50, without realising she would not get a state pension until years later. I'm sorry but most people in work today, will not have the chance to retire at 50 and most people would do their homework before retiring to check how much money they had vs needed.

Sponsored Links
I can't work out the dates for the woman in the OP linked story. She says she was due to retire in 2014 but then found out in 2012 that she wouldn't get a state pension until 2020. What age was she expecting to retire at? Did her state pension age change rapidly or did she just not know what it was?

Last edited:
One woman on the telly this morning said she gave up a decent job a few of years before she was 60 to care for her mother thinking that she could manage until she got her pension. She then found out the goalposts had been moved but couldn’t get back into the job market at 57/58 as nobody would take her on. She ended up doing cleaning jobs for the next 8 years to make ends meet. I felt sorry for her.

Sponsored Links
One woman on the telly this morning said she gave up a decent job a few of years before she was 60 to care for her mother thinking that she could manage until she got her pension. She then found out the goalposts had been moved but couldn’t get back into the job market at 57/58 as nobody would take her on. She ended up doing cleaning jobs for the next 8 years to make ends meet. I felt sorry for her.
Me too.

Makes a mockery of mbk post. Not understanding the issues.

Yeah that is pretty tough.

My Dad retired at 58 and lived until 92, so 34 years of retirement.

He was lucky, later generations are not going to be able to do that at all.

May as well get the story correct, ;) but I didn't read the link.

At some point there was an action to equalise male female retirement ages, Net result women moved to 65 even by company and state organisation pensions. Just about all in terms of normal retirement age, My wife's got moved from 60 to 65.

Then retirement age was increased by one year, In the case of a woman born in the 50's this resulted in a change from 60 to 66. This was not made clear to the people concerned. The coalition made the decision. A current tory lady mp says she did point this out but no one was interested. Given the news they may have expected 1 year increase, Hard to know really but it has caught some out.

My Dad retired at 58 and lived until 92, so 34 years of retirement.
Mrs Motties dad took early retirement at 62. Had he stayed on until he was 65 he would have had just three months of retirement before he died.

My uncle retired after 30 years teaching in 1970 at the age of 65

He died aged 96 , so received the state pension and teachers pension for a long time.

Adjustments to the retirement ages should have been done many years ago

The best thing the average young person can have, to build up a decent pension, is the energy and health to be able to work well beyond 70.

Makes a mockery of mbk post. Not understanding the issues.
Not really.
The information was public knowledge, and people buried their heads in the sand.
But that's what people DO.

The complaint seems to be that the women feel they weren't told "Properly".
They are probably right, there could have been doom laden poster campaigns like for AIDS.
"When you are old and hubby dies, you will be destitute", isn't really a vote-winner.

Employees of some companies with pension schemes, such as my wife's, helped women organise their pensions with new dates.
Lower grade workers in lower grade jobs with lower grade abilities, predictably needed help and pushing they didn't get.
Major's lot (etc) should have known, women were paid much less for the same jobs as men which they couldn't get anyway, so weren't able to save a load more.
There was an earlier issue with pensions and ages, I'll see if I can find it*. It caught my parents.

Of course HMG's attitude is like with the asbestos and bad blood and Post Office scandals - wring hands, lie, procrastinate and make excuses, but mainly, wait till the whining buggers die.

---
* I found the earlier thing. Callaghan brought in a scheme which constrained womens' pension rights, but many didn't understand it or missed it.
My parents were OK with money, but something about their relative ages and their contibutions, meant they were trapped so they couldn't act to correct it, when they found out about it. The bloody awful scheme was put right in the Cameron-Clegg era. (Cock-ups appeared later but those were put right, supposedly, and very late.) Father would have been about 56 when they realised - a bit late to start making large contributions. Circumstances changed but my mother would have been out of money anyway. Now she's in her 90's in a home costing a grand a week plus.
Some details here: It's boring; just another example of women being treated badly.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back