Your knowledge required on new heating set up please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice from the huge knowledge base on here and hope someone can help me out.

Our old Baxi boiler has finally had it and it's time to replace it. When I say it's had what I mean is it has another gas leak and I've decided that it's becoming too frequent so rather than patch it up and hope for the best it's time to replace it.
Plus it's just a simple boiler (must be at least 15 years old) for the heating and hot water storage tank so I'm thinking that a new modern one will be more efficient, save me money (hopefully lots) and at the same time I could go for a condensing combi unit and have instant hot water rather than having to boil up the tank all the time. Then I can get rid of the storage tank too (can I get rid of the header tank?).

Anyhow, so far I've had one quote and been recommended a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28i Junior.
Now I want something which will be reliable so am hoping this will do the job but is there anything else I should look at?
Our house is a typical terraced 70's built mid-terrace 3 bedroom house (2 bedrooms are pretty small). There are 2 large rads, 4 medium rads and 2 small rads. We don't need a power shower as we have an electric one which is fine.

I was also going to get a chemical clean and jet flush done as the pipework will need it - plus it's peace of mind.

One thing though - as an optional extra we were asked if we wanted Danfoss RAS-C2 TRV's installed?
Is this something we should consider? They're not cheap at £35 installed and I've seen them for under a tenner - I could fit them myself?

Obviously I'll get another couple of quotes but I was hoping someone could advise on the above, see if there's anything else I should consider etc?

Your help is very much appreciatted.

Cheers

Niall

Sponsored Links
Fitting TRVs and controls are a requirement under Part L.

PTS are doing a special on Alpha HE25 & 33 combi boilers, at under half price I would expect the engineer to supply and fit the controls for free.

Where are you. ish

as an optional extra we were asked if we wanted Danfoss RAS-C2 TRV's installed?

this is not optional. it is a requirement that they be fitted in bedrooms at least.

personally i would go for Drayton trv4s.

Sponsored Links

PTS are doing a special on Alpha HE25 & 33 combi boilers, at under half price I would expect the engineer to supply and fit the controls for free.
Where are you. ish

Perhaps you are feeling charitable following your last free boiler installation job but I still dont see why you expect anything to be fitted free.

Tony

I agree. If I wasn't doing the job, I would certainly expect the person who was to do these for free as well.

Where are you. ish

Perhaps you are feeling charitable following your last free boiler installation job but I still dont see why you expect anything to be fitted free.

Tony

That is not being charitable Tony, if the guy is saving nearly £800.00 on the retail price of a boiler, then a £100.00 for TRVs + a couple of hours labour is the least he can do.

Right!

I think you mean that the installer is still charging the full price of the boiler and not giving him the benefit of the offer?

I expect to charge our standard installation charge and supply the boiler at the cost plus some delivery.

Tony

thanks for the quick response.

I did not realise that the TRV's were a must? We have basic TRV's at the moment and I wondered if these would be suitable? They may not take the higher pressure?

I'm about to have a look at the Alpha combi.... I take they are a good unit?

Cheers

If you have TRVs already and they are in good working order, you don't need new ones.

The system pressure has nothing to do with the valves, However the higher pressure can effect the old pipework, radiators etc, as well as the taps for the hot and cold water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back