Your opinion - worst top gear presenter and why

I think May is very articulate, Clarkson is hilarious and Hammond i could take or leave.

There is a button available on most televisions that allows you to change channel.

You've lived on a Council Estate too long if you think May is articulated.

Why isnt he articulated?

Because he's not a truck. :LOL:

Only just realised I put that myself :confused:

I think the suggestion was that he only sounds smart in comparison to Council Estate people.

Sponsored Links
Surely its got to be Hammond with his totally ridiculous schoolboy haircut. Not sure if its a way of hiding the scars on his head after his high speed crash.

What does Richard Hammond and George Michael have in common?

They've both had skid-marks on their helmet.
:LOL: :LOL: now that`s descending to the level of the programme - Bloody funny tho`. Clarkson about the Smig - " some say his scrotum has it`s own force field " :confused:

I think May is very articulate, Clarkson is hilarious and Hammond i could take or leave.

There is a button available on most televisions that allows you to change channel.

Why isnt he articulated?

I think the suggestion was that he only sounds smart in comparison to Council Estate people.
are we doing the receding square thing here :LOL:

Why isnt he articulated?

are we doing the receding square thing here :LOL:
What's a receding square?

Sponsored Links
May is a poor mans George Bishop (who could whimsy on with far better humour. )

JC is a decent journo if he allowed himself not to pontificate too much

the Hamster is a prepubescent girls fantasy and possibly only there to bring up the BBC dwarf quotient?

TG jumped the shark several years ago. Fell in the the usual trap all these programs do. If it works do it LOTS more. Then like -say Big Brother- you end up with a house full of freaks instead of a potentially interesting social comment. The programme lack intellectual depth that someone such as the late great LKJ Setright could bring . Currently it's based on one question "What'llitdomister?"

There is absolutely no way all these races are not staged. Thy may well protest but to race across 1000+ miles to end within 6 seconds is frankly insulting.

I believe the producer and JC are well aware of the state it has got in

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/organgrinder/2009/dec/22/top-gear

The end is hopefully somewhat closer now..

Bring back Frank page!

It was well publisised (by JC himself aswell), that the 'American road trip' attack was staged.

I used to quite enjoy the show until that point.

The trip to the pole and the channel crossing in aqua-cars were fun to watch IMO though.

David.

It is called entertainment, and to have them finish minutes apart in their 'races' is supposed to make it exciting for those of us who don't feel the need to break down and super analyse every little editing imperfection. So what if they film the Bugatti Veyron along the entire stretch of road from the south of France to wherever. We know the BBC haven't got 30 cameras along that length of road. It's editing. Whether it's good editing or not is subject to question, but, along with any programme on TV that we watch, it comes down to this. If you like it you'll watch. If you don't you won't. :)

Actually, Mr Bartlett, I fail to remember George Bishop having anything to do with ‘good humour’. I recall him as an irascible old curmudgeon who was less interested in evaluating cars at a manufacturer’s launch than quaffing the gratis premier cru that the makers had thoughtfully ‘thrown in’ to soften-up the visiting journos, clearly not unaware that this might propitiate a favourable critique. I agree that Leonard Setright was an extremely gifted writer but both of these chaps sprang from very different times. Would either of them not have had high-octane contempt for the TV as we know it these days? They were first and foremost motoring writers, not TV presenters.

Certainly there does exist a crop deadweight presenters that have infested the idiot’s lantern these last ten years or so: Ross, Kaplinsky, Carr, Chiles, Humble, Wan, Lamb, Bradbury, that bird with the child-baring lips that reads the autocue, Allsopp, Kaye, Ant ‘n Dreck, Bruce, Edwards, that lardarse child-minder, McCall, Kyle… oh bo11ocks to it, just create your own list. I would suggest in comparison to this utterly egregious bunch that James May is an intellectual colossus. He has a modicum of wit, a good grasp of automotive history and can string a decent sentence together though these may not be essential prerequisites for the burger-stuffing, pepsi-swilling, prepubescent pondlife that seems to constitute much of TG’s audience, which, according to the RAJAR figures, continues to grow (I mean in viewing figure terms, not weight). After all TG is BBC-2’s biggest export. It may fail to stimulate cerebrally but it works on its own terms, albeit, in one eye, out the other. ;)

I would suggest in comparison to this utterly egregious bunch that James May is an intellectual colossus. He has a modicum of wit, a good grasp of automotive history and can string a decent sentence together
:

The rest I could not grasp (my fault... as it was so well written :oops: ).

But I did understand and agree with this part of the post.

David.

Actually, Mr Bartlett, I fail to remember George Bishop having anything to do with ‘good humour’. I recall him as an irascible old curmudgeon who was less interested in evaluating cars at a manufacturer’s launch than quaffing the gratis premier cru that the makers had thoughtfully ‘thrown in’ to soften-up the visiting journos, clearly not unaware that this might propitiate a favourable critique. I agree that Leonard Setright was an extremely gifted writer but both of these chaps sprang from very different times. Would either of them not have had high-octane contempt for the TV as we know it these days? They were first and foremost motoring writers, not TV presenters.

I fear I may have done May a slight injustice. He is better than the program allows for and of the three, he is, by far, the best...

It took me many many years and usually only after I had read the entire mag did I eventually 'get' GB. But you're wrong like grumpy old men there was humour.... He was actually rather knowledgeable towards cars but treated them with the contempt they deserve. Which was quite novel for a Car mag

It's quite sad how many good writers from that mag have died

Bishop
Setright
llewellyn
Bulgin

Rowen Atkinson was also a good writer and I always read his pieces when they appeared from time to time.. Speaking of time , yes of course they were from such a bygone age (1980's + ) that life has become so incredibly dumbed down the Beeb dare not put out intelligent entertainment

Sponsored Links
Back