YPlan central heating wiring help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone
I have recently converted my sisters old open vented semi gravity central heating system to a sealed fully pumped Yplan with Vaillant ecotec system boiler. I was full of enthusiasm for this project before i started. The installation of the boiler and re-arranging the pipework all went very smoothly. Now i am at the wiring of the system heating controls stage things are a very different story, I’m no longer enthusiastic and am actually starting to lose the will to live. My aim is to get the whole system installed except the gas pipe and mains electricity connection which will be done by a corgi/part P man before he commissions it. I believe this should be easily achievable if someone could kindly guide me in the right direction. I have looked at many wiring diagrams online but none with a wiring centre and a system boiler.......Its now time to admit defeat and ask you guys for your help. Below i have tried to paint you as bigger picture as i can without over complicating things. Take a look............

The Components
1 Vaillant ecotec 618 system boiler
2 Honeywell Sundial plan wiring centre 42005748-001
3 Honeywell ST6400c Programmer
4 Honeywell V4073A Mid-Position valve
5 Honeywell L641A Cylinder Stat
6 Honeywell Room Stat (Unknown) Its the dial type, brown and beige installed in the mid 80’s, has 4 wires red to 1 blue to 2 yellow to3 Earth is left loose. Previously wired to a Randall time clock on a pumped heating gravity hot water system.

.All the above components are new with the exception of the existing room stat

The Plan
To wire all the above components for a Y plan configuration fully pumped system boiler.

What I have done so far. . .
1 Replaced old boiler with the Vaillant ecotec, arranged pipe work and fitted the mid-position valve.
2 Screwed wiring centre into the wall in the vicinity of the Switched fused mains, boiler and mid-position valve ( all in same compartment)
3 Run the heat resisting twin and earth cable from cylinder stat to wiring centre (not connected)
4 Run the wiring for programmer. Five wires are needed for a Yplan configuration [NL1 34]. I have run 2x Twin and earth, is this acceptable? (not connected)
5 I have an existing wire connected at the room stat. Red-1, blue-2, yellow-3, loose earth run to wiring centre (not connected)
6 I have wired the mid-position valve to the wiring centres mid-position block as this was relatively easy.The terminal block accommodates a brown wire which I don’t have on the mid-position valve. Should I be concerned?

I’m confused
The wiring centre gives wiring instructions for pump overrun boilers and basic boilers, pump overrun requiring 5 wires and basic requiring 3.The vaillant ecotec being a pump overrun. The boiler installation manual gives instruction for a 3 core flexible cord only. Although the boiler does have 3 more terminals for “ EXTERNAL ELECTRICAL CONTROLS . . . The boiler terminals 3,4 and 5 are for connecting external electrical controls such as a time switch and/or room thermostat. Terminals 3 and 4 are linked when the boiler is supplied. If external controls are used, this link must be removed, and the controls connected across terminals 3 and 4. Terminal 5 is an additional neutral connection for external neutrals such as from the anticipator of a room stat. If a room thermostat is to be connected in addition to a time switch the wire between the time switch ON terminal and boiler terminal 4 should be broken by the contacts of the room thermostat” I don’t know how relevant that is?? The boiler manual also says “CIRCULATING PUMP. . . The boiler incorporates a built in circulating pump that is fully prewired (no additional wiring necessary). The pump incorporates an automatic overrun period after the boiler switches off”. What would i do with the wiring centres pump block?The boiler manual gives no info for wiring via a wiring centre.
I suppose, in a nutshell, my question is. . apart from what i have done so far ( which isn’t a lot) How do i do the rest? Which colour wire goes to which terminal number, do i need to make bridges anywhere, do i need to remove or cut links etc. I’m aware i need to cut links 1,4,5 and 6 in the wiring centre.
I know this is a big ask and i am fully aware that information on these pages comes from the goodness of people’s hearts so in advance i would like to give a massive thanks to anyone giving advice. . . it really is appreciated..........THANKS.

Sponsored Links
Hello everyone
I have recently converted my sisters old open vented semi gravity central heating system to a sealed fully pumped Yplan with Vaillant ecotec system boiler. I was full of enthusiasm for this project before i started. The installation of the boiler and re-arranging the pipework all went very smoothly. Now i am at the wiring of the system heating controls stage things are a very different story, I’m no longer enthusiastic and am actually starting to lose the will to live. My aim is to get the whole system installed except the gas pipe and mains electricity connection which will be done by a corgi/part P man before he commissions it. I believe this should be easily achievable if someone could kindly guide me in the right direction. I have looked at many wiring diagrams online but none with a wiring centre and a system boiler.......Its now time to admit defeat and ask you guys for your help. Below i have tried to paint you as bigger picture as i can without over complicating things. Take a look............

The Components
1 Vaillant ecotec 618 system boiler
2 Honeywell Sundial plan wiring centre 42005748-001
3 Honeywell ST6400c Programmer
4 Honeywell V4073A Mid-Position valve
5 Honeywell L641A Cylinder Stat
6 Honeywell Room Stat (Unknown) Its the dial type, brown and beige installed in the mid 80’s, has 4 wires red to 1 blue to 2 yellow to3 Earth is left loose. Previously wired to a Randall time clock on a pumped heating gravity hot water system.

.All the above components are new with the exception of the existing room stat

The Plan
To wire all the above components for a Y plan configuration fully pumped system boiler.

What I have done so far. . .
1 Replaced old boiler with the Vaillant ecotec, arranged pipe work and fitted the mid-position valve.
2 Screwed wiring centre into the wall in the vicinity of the Switched fused mains, boiler and mid-position valve ( all in same compartment)
3 Run the heat resisting twin and earth cable from cylinder stat to wiring centre (not connected)
4 Run the wiring for programmer. Five wires are needed for a Yplan configuration [NL1 34]. I have run 2x Twin and earth, is this acceptable? (not connected)
5 I have an existing wire connected at the room stat. Red-1, blue-2, yellow-3, loose earth run to wiring centre (not connected)
6 I have wired the mid-position valve to the wiring centres mid-position block as this was relatively easy.The terminal block accommodates a brown wire which I don’t have on the mid-position valve. Should I be concerned?

I’m confused
The wiring centre gives wiring instructions for pump overrun boilers and basic boilers, pump overrun requiring 5 wires and basic requiring 3.The vaillant ecotec being a pump overrun. The boiler installation manual gives instruction for a 3 core flexible cord only. Although the boiler does have 3 more terminals for “ EXTERNAL ELECTRICAL CONTROLS . . . The boiler terminals 3,4 and 5 are for connecting external electrical controls such as a time switch and/or room thermostat. Terminals 3 and 4 are linked when the boiler is supplied. If external controls are used, this link must be removed, and the controls connected across terminals 3 and 4. Terminal 5 is an additional neutral connection for external neutrals such as from the anticipator of a room stat. If a room thermostat is to be connected in addition to a time switch the wire between the time switch ON terminal and boiler terminal 4 should be broken by the contacts of the room thermostat” I don’t know how relevant that is?? The boiler manual also says “CIRCULATING PUMP. . . The boiler incorporates a built in circulating pump that is fully prewired (no additional wiring necessary). The pump incorporates an automatic overrun period after the boiler switches off”. What would i do with the wiring centres pump block?The boiler manual gives no info for wiring via a wiring centre.
I suppose, in a nutshell, my question is. . apart from what i have done so far ( which isn’t a lot) How do i do the rest? Which colour wire goes to which terminal number, do i need to make bridges anywhere, do i need to remove or cut links etc. I’m aware i need to cut links 1,4,5 and 6 in the wiring centre.
I know this is a big ask and i am fully aware that information on these pages comes from the goodness of people’s hearts so in advance i would like to give a massive thanks to anyone giving advice. . . it really is appreciated..........THANKS.

Too long a post for someone of my short attention span I'm afraid.

Permanent live to boiler L terminal on pcb, switched live to term 4 on boiler pcb.

I hope by refering to twin and earth you actually mean 3 core heat resistant flex :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
just follow the wiring diagram supplied with mid position for y plan excluding the pump in the wiring centre . the boiler does this for you. would be better if you went and bought some 5 core cable n much tidyer. and if u used 3 core for cylinder stat and have used earth wire make sure u sheath it with red tape so people know it is no longer a earth.and there is no brown this is for a different valve

if u used 3 core for cylinder stat and have used earth wire make sure u sheath it with red tape so people know it is no longer a earth.

I get a huge amount of grief when sat in seminars with electricians because I am a plumber so I get the blaim for all these practices even though I never do them. All day long they are horrible to me.

Have you sorted this as I now have the same problem with my ecotech boiler. Would love to know how you resolved this.

Thanks

For someone with a short attention span your post is too long for me :rolleyes:

The switched live to the ecotec goes to terminal 4 on the pcb.

Other than that you connect L N E as per instructions.

I always use 4 or 5 core flex from the pcb to the wiring center to keep it neat.

Thanks for reply. have only a 3 core wire going to the pcb. Is there any way to connect remotely?[/quote]

Don't worry your not only one first time I came across on a Y plan also pulling my hair out. Then I found there was not one switch in the motorized valve as shown on plan but three.
So the expected results testing with a meter were completely wrong. This http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/Central-heating.bmp is the diagram I had outside wiring is correct but as I say in real life there are three micro switches in motorized valve.
Eric
PS no power to valve defaults to hot water so for pump to continue to run no real problem.
As far as I can see 42005748-001 wiring thing is just a junction box and two fuses and I would think wiring would depend where things are located. Often the 10 way box is used in airing cupboard with valve and cylinder stat close and wiring from room stat also taken to same point. But sometimes the valve is remote from airing cupboard and wiring has to be altered to suit.
Eric

Thanks for reply. have only a 3 core wire going to the pcb. Is there any way to connect remotely?

Add another heat resistant flex to connect to terminal 4 on the pcb.

There are several rubber grommets for you to choose from to feed the flex through.

Pump over run is determined by the pcb, not the switched live on terminal 4.

Thanks Eric and dave for your replies. Have run a new 5 core back to the boiler although that was difficult as all floors were sealed.

Jontue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back