zafira oil in fuel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After having my car in garage to get aprob with bad starting fixed it came back with a oil leak, i took it back to garage , they fixed the oil leak didn't charge, but they didn't tell me where the oil caMe from or what caused the leak.
After the car back n wouldn't start the next day.
I've had the car back to the garage time and again , its in garage at moment has been since 6th dec.
the garage is now sayin the fuel pump &whole fuel system has been contaminated with oil, the pump needs renewing and the system flushing through with clean diesel.
They are only gonna charge for new pump and fitting.
Iam concerned cause, i don't know anything about cars, but quite a few people i know have told me that oil can't get into the fuel and even if it did i would just burn off with the diesel and not cause all this damage.
Ihave told the garage my concerns but they just talk jargon that i don't understand .
Does anyone know if the garage is talking sence, or is it possible that the oil that's got into the fuel could have came form an oil leak that they caused the first time they had the car(given that when i got it back the first time it had an oil leak that it didn't go into garage with and it was starting ok the first time i got it back
PLEASE HELP

donnatennant, please do not start more than one post regarding the same question. Your duplicate posts have been removed

Sponsored Links
I am no expert, but i imagine a small amount of oil in the fuel system would be burt along with the diesel (diesel IS oil), but, possibly fouling the injectors, depending on how much and where it was leaking.
I think there is a few Vauxhall lads here....so dont run away yet!

donnatennant

Get you car from the garage and tell them to stop talking *******s.

You neglect to state the engine but i presume it is an X2.0dth DIESEL

There is nothing wrong with the fuel pump (99.99999% sure). Your fault is caused by the injector feeder seals being either split or perished.

The feeders run under the cam and onto the top of the injectors in the cylinder head. Because of this there is a lot of stress and expansion causing the seals to fail.

If your fuel is black due to oil contamination, it is because oil is entering the feeders and is then re circulated into the tank causing soot deposits in the fuel.

The reason it wont start from cold is that the fuel drains away and so there is no fuel at the injector when you turn the key.

Air (as you know) can be compressed so the fuel cant get to the injector nozzle and this causes your starting problem.. I presume the car is fine once it has started and once warm will fire up first time all day ?

Take your car to a proper garage mate and tell the other guy to go back to college or read a book on direct injection engines..... I would love to see him on a common rail engine...

I have fitted hundreds of these seals and it always cures it... If it doesnt i will personally buy you a new fuel pump and fit it myself for nothing..

Mick

Sponsored Links
Mick Leek said:
donnatennant

I have fitted hundreds of these seals and it always cures it... If it doesnt i will personally buy you a new fuel pump and fit it myself for nothing..

Mick

You and me both Mick! I think pretty much every 2.0dtl/dth I've ever seen has needed injector seals and leak off pipes at some stage.

We used to first replace the leak off pipes and if the plastic T-pieces were black and sooty, would replace injector seals as a matter of course.

Donnatennant, I'd be very very surprised if the fuel pump is at fault, and if so, take Mick up on his offer of a replacement as they are over £1000, lol.

Seriously, replacing the injector seals will cure the problem as Mick stated.
If I rememeber rightly (3 years since I left Vauxhall) set of seals is about £25.00 plus fitting. Cpl of hours labour max!

hope you get sorted

CJ

Back