Oil leak after laying idle for approx. 2 months

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My car has been sitting in my drive for approx 2 months (trying to sell with little or no interest). Anyway I had a guy coming to look at it this afternoon so I brought it over the local garage for a wash and when I got back I noticed it was leaking oil really bad. It only began leaking when the car was started. It looks to me like it's coming from the oil filter housing but I'm no expert.

The car had only recently been serviced. Approx 2000miles prior to this (plugs, oil filter, air filter).

Make - Ford
Model - Fiesta LX
Engine size/Type - 1299cc / Petrol
Year - 2003
Mileage - 46000

Any suggestions as to what could be the cause of this?

Many thanks,
Lee.

Sponsored Links
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the prompt reply. After a quick clean and poke around it looks as if whoever serviced the car last damaged the oil filter when putting it in. It looks as thought its been damaged where it was tightened. Looks as though it rusted through an the pressure when I started the car burst it. Either way I think it's just a new oil filter an I'm good.

Thanks again.
Lee.

But...but....the motor was only serviced 2k ago :eek:
I've had filters rusted through before, but only when they were on for years!
So long as the oil light didn't come on when you were driving, the motor will be ok.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just screw it on hand tight when you replace it Lee. You won't damage it and it will come off much easier next time.

Peter

Off to get a new filter now. Will screw it on hand tight. NCT tomorrow. Hopefully it'll pass and I can get rid of it soon enough :)

Thanks again,
Lee.

Sometimes, rarely nowadays,when a vehicle was stood for a while,the oil seal can dry out.
When started, the lip of the seal can stick to whatever it's sealing, (crank?)
then slightly tear. Long shot, been there.

Hi Lou,

Thanks for the prompt reply. After a quick clean and poke around it looks as if whoever serviced the car last damaged the oil filter when putting it in. It looks as thought its been damaged where it was tightened. Looks as though it rusted through an the pressure when I started the car burst it. Either way I think it's just a new oil filter an I'm good.

Thanks again.
Lee.

Your welcome Lee, glad to hear you have sorted it. It sounds like the filter was not replaced when the servicing was done. It is unusual but the mechanic may have struggled to remove it and left it be, or forgot he had not actually fully removed or replaced it.

Check the filter for tightness after the engine has reached temperature and cooled down again - it should be hand tight plus about another 1/4 turn. Also before fitting the filter, smear some oil on the mating faces of the seal.

Sponsored Links
Back