Zanussi WJD1257W no heat on dry cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Zanussi WJD1257W, product number 914601406/00 which no longer seems to heat on the dry cycle.

I've seen in a different forum that there is a way to test the dryer via the diagnostics/engineer mode, but think it was for a slightly different version and managed to get an E93 error when trying to do that (Kudos to CaptainCaveman1 on here for getting me out of that mess)

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me diagnose the lack of heat?

Sponsored Links
If the fans turning freely then check the side condensor below the fan isnt blocked also the ntc located on the rubber hose inbetween the tub and the condensor it not uncommon to find one of the wires has broken off check the connection carefully as its not always obvious .The element may also of become damp if you havnt used it for a while and the elctronics detect this but its rare for an element to blow though

Thanks Captain. The fan definitely turns freely, so that bit's OK.

The machine is in a cold and fairly damp environment, so condensation is a definite possibility. I'll take the back off soon to check the condenser (am I right in thinking their is a filter somewhere round there, if so can you tell me where? Might need cleaning?) I'll also check wiring to NTC, though the part itself should be ok as it was replaced not long ago.

Erm - update - NTC showing 0 ohms resistance when cold? Looks like it might have gone again. The part was only replaced in June, is there any reason it might go again so quickly? Condenser has fluff in it, so I am trying to clean that out too.

no filter apart from the one at the front but the condensor does block up in fact i had to clear one today . An ntc decreases in resistance the warmer it gets so if you have no resistance at all and its cold and damp then yes that has to be faulty

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Captain. Replacement ntc should be here today, so I'll see if it resolves the dryer problem.

Is there anything that tends to blow the ntc? It was replaced only 6 months ago.

Fitted new ntc, and dryer still not heating, also timer on dryer runs down far too quickly - 1:51 time takes maybe 15 minutes. Condenser cleaned out.

Last error in log is E72. Not sure what this means, but code for a different model shows E72 as being a faulty NTC on drying condenser. Is that the same here? Just struggling to think that there are 2 faulty NTCs (the original and the new one)

I've also now noticed a slight leak from the fan casing where the metal top of the casing joins the plastic bottom. Could that be part of the problem?

e72 relates to that the dryer ntc fault there is another ntc for the dryer on the front dryer duct above the door seal but did you really check the wiring to that bottom one? and the sligtht leak you refer too at that join is never an issue dont worry about that. Also was the new ntc a genuine direct replacement?

At least the leaks not a problem. The wiring certainly seems ok, unless there is a break hidden by the insulation somewhere.

The part wasn't direct, but orig replacement seemed ok. This was just in a box though, not a sealed bag, and connection end is white not black. Not sure it is new and think I'll check part numbers tomorrow.

Are there any readings I can take at NTC connection to check wiring?

Thanjs

Thanks Captain. It was the other end I meant though to be certain the wiring to the NTC is OK as per your suggestion, though the replacement part I recieved did not look new, and looked marginally different. Again it also has no resistance at room temperature, so I think it is again a duff part, though interestingly, the original doesn't cause the E72 error which is why I think it may also be the wrong part. Either way, I should have another replacement either tomorrow or early next week which will hopefully resolve, though I will check resistance before fitting this time I think:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back