Zanussi WJD1257W NTC probe gone 3 times in 1 year?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Zanussi WJD1257W. The NTC probe went in June 2011, then again in Dec 2011, and looks to have gone again.

Is there any reason why this component would break so frequently?

The machine is in a very damp environment, but has been for the last 7 years or so, so perhaps damp/condensation is playing a part?

The last error code showing in the log is E21, but there is an occasional drainage problem (I think there is likely something in the pump that blocks drainage now and again, but can't work out how to remove it to check - or more precisely, I can't fathom how to gain sufficient access to remove it)

Sponsored Links
Washer NTC or dryer NTC?....& how do you know it has failed?
Post the PNC number on the door sticker so we know exactly which model you have.

Thanks for the response Zipper.

Model no is 914601406/00 and drier NTC.

I'm assuming it has again failed as it is exactly the same symptoms as previously - drier does not seem to get hot, and the drying time is much shorter than it should be.

Have you confirmed the NTC has failed each time (with a meter)?
Have you been into diagnostics & retrieved any error codes (apart from the E21)? Be aware that the drain pump is used both in wash & drying phases. It sounds a little worrying that the machine is sited in a very damp environment. Electronics hate water :(

Sponsored Links
Hi Zipper,

I haven't yet on this occasion, but did confirm on the previous 2 occasions - 0 Ohms at room temperature I assume isn't good!? Also, swapping out the NTC resolved the issues on the previous occasions too.

Tis time, I've taken a chance on ordering a replacement before removing from the machine on the assumption it is the ntc again as it is showing exactly the same symtoms.

I'm not keen on it being in a damp environment either, but am stuck for space to locate it anwhere else. That's why I'm wondering whether damp may be part of the issue, having said that, it worked fine for about 5 years in it's current location before the first ntc went, and now 3 in 18 months, so maybe it's something else causing the ntcs to fail.

On a side note, any ideas how I gain access to the pump to clean it out? I've tried a couple of occasions, but couldn't get at it well enough to remove.

If there is no baseplate/bottom in the machine you may be able to remove the pump from underneath if you lean the machine against a wall/stool etc.
If it has a base that prevents this then you'll have to remove the rear half of the outer casing.

If the drier ntc had failed then in diagnostics the code would be E72 for dryer condensor or E73 for top duct ntc but if you are getting an E20 code on dry normally after 5 or 10 minutes its a red herring as its usuallly down to a blocked condensor on the side at the back ( the plastic tank under the fan) remove and flush out all the fluff. If it happens after 30 to 40 minutes it be the cutout on the pumps windings in which case you would have to replace the pump.

Thanks Zipper, I'l have another go when I pull the machine apart to try to sort this fault. If I remember, the base can be removed, though I still couldn't work out how to get access to the pump. Maybe it will be one of those where I couldn't see the wood for the trees and it's obvious when I look a second time?! (fingers crossed)

Captain:) You helped me with this last time the ntc went, and again I wasn't getting an E72 error though there was zero resistance across the removed part. That time I really thought I was going potty as neither of the first 2 replacements worked (both showed zero resistance) though one of those replacements did manifest the E72 error. When I changed part supplier, the new part did show a resistance and after installing, the dryer worked until a couple of days ago. I'll double check the condensor when the new ntc arrives, though it should be fairly clear.
[previous postings from December are here: //www.diynot.com/forums/appliances/zanussi-wjd1257w-no-heat-on-dry-cycle.305188/]

As I'm fairly sure it's the ntc again, I've ordered the spare and am planing to check the existing ntc to confirm it is faulty prior to opening the replacement (and checking the replacement prior to fitting) and checking the condensor at the same time.

Assuming that it is the ntc again, is there any reason why my machine should be going through one about every 6 months?

Cheers guys:)

OK, on the dryer side, it's definitely the ntc. Replacement part arrived today, showed resistance accross the contacts, so I fitted and dryer now works again. (the removed part shows 0 Ohms resistance)

This brings me back to my original problem, does anybody have any ideas as to why my machine, which has been in the same location (though damp) for about 7 years, has suddenly gone through 3 ntc's in 18 months, while never needing one previously?

Must be really damp where its sited !! A certain range of driers I service have this prob with one of their NTC's so I replace the NTC then wrap the protruding end and the connector with gaffer tape havn't had one back so far so its worth a try :confused:

Thanks for the suggestion Captain.

It's definitely a damp environment, so damp that despite the outside of the walls having been sealed several times over, there is still enough moisture coming through to wash the paint off the walls!

My thinking was that it might be condensation getting into one of the boards, far easier to stick some gaffer tape round the part and see how long it lasts. I'll get that done over weekend and keep my fingers crossed.

Hi, I've just signed up to say thank you for the advice because you's have just help me fix my washing machine.

Word of advice though for thicko's like me is to make sure the water pipe is connected and turned on while testing the fix even though the fault is on the dryer , I wasted a couple of hrs scratching my head wondering why the bleeding machine still wouldn't work until the penny dropped.

Cheers all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back