Zanussi WJS1397W washer-drier motor maybe kaput

njc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...

The machine was making what I thought was a tapping/rattling sound (like maybe something having sneaked through a hole in the drum), but later I noticed it was only when the motor was "on". I then thought it might be a crackling sound - brushes?

Anyway, 20 minutes later the motor stopped working :(

The machine is 1999 vintage, so I guess I'll either DIY it or bin it, but I've actually no idea how much an engineer would charge anyway.

Where would I buy brushes if that would restore the motor? (Or indeed a new motor?)

Is this an easy DIY job?

Tips/advice gratefully received...

thanks
Neil

Sponsored Links
If it made a crackling sound make sure it isn't this sort of problem!

I'm sure everyone will have their favourite or cheapest place, but here is somewhere you could get the brushes from: apart4u.com

I had checked the brushes when I was fault finding my machine and as long as you are reasonably competent with a screwdriver and a socket set you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the info. I spent a while studying the first picture in your previous thread, wondering what the problem was on the PCB. I then scrolled down and it quickly became apparent :)

It did turn out to be the brushes. Under pressure from SWMBO, I pressed ahead and bought some and installed them; end of problem. Luckily the driver module hadn't been damaged.

It was pretty painless (used a few tips I found in other threads - thanks Sleepyhead and co), and I did it all from underneath by tipping the machine back. The one minor hiccup was that the brushes were secured by hex head screws which needed a 5.5mm socket and my socket set had 5mm and 6mm... Quick trip to Argos sorted that :)

The supplier you mention does have the correct brushes for my motor (Sole) though they want about £23 for 'em; I got mine from an Ebay vendor (best-deals-ron) for about £11 and they arrived next day which was nice.

cheers
Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back