Washing Machine Motors (that fail) Don't Panic!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have decided to post this after a recent problem with my washing machine. It happens to be a Zanussi FJ1225W but that is not totally relevant.

The machine stopped without any fault codes and the timer was running down but nothing seemed to be happening inside the drum. It had filled and was about 6 minutes into the cycle.

Long story short, it was the motor brushes and I suspected this so went online at the usual spares stores to find out that motor brushes for my particular machine were not available as a separate item as they were for many machines.

I was invited to spend around £286 on new motor ... no kidding Zanussi!

Anyways, I took a look at the motor more closely and sure enough the brushes are a separate item - they have to fit them in the factory don't they? I took the old brushes off, looked at the part numbers on them and google did the rest.

In this particular case they were PA66-GF Sole Motor brushes and I got them from Lazer Electronics for £6.89 delivered free in two days. ... £279 n change to spend on something else or just save!

This isn't the fault of the online spares companies alone, they do what the manufacturer recommends I suppose but despite having an online chat with the operator etc. I was still expected to buy a complete motor.

For those that don't know, the brushes in this case extend a couple of inches out of the holder and when new, there is a retaining tab holding them back. Once you have replaced them into position, this tab needs breaking off so the brush can extend under spring expansion and contact the motor itself. Mine have just been replace for the first time in about 12 years so not too bad. Of course your motor may suffer other issues but this worked for me so I thought I would pass on the advice and hopefully, no matter what machine you have, it will give you an alternative solution before you buy a new motor or machine.

Stay safe and take care!

Steve B

Sponsored Links
Good advice and also applies to most brushed motors in other machinery.
Mira Event (all in one power showers) are another example of just replacing motor brushes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back