Ze Query

You can't loop the earthing conductor in and out of the MET because only the cable between the MET and the means of earthing is the earthing conductor.

What about the bit of cable between the CU and MET?

Sponsored Links
Yes so I can get used to filling out certificates and the tests.

Sorry your right I mean cutout not meter. Completely wrong I'm very sorry

The MET (and hence your main protective bonding) should not be in the supply authority cut-out either.

Sponsored Links
I did think that which begs the questions
1- why has it been done like that?
2- (before I do my continuity,need to find a wander lead of sorts) if they are not my main bonding conductors what are they for? And where are my bonding conductors earthed to???

And where are my bonding conductors earthed to???

The main protective bonding conductors are bonded to the MET, which gives earthed equipotential bonding in old money.

In other systems they may not be earthed (i.e. earth-free local equipotential bonding).

I understand that but apart from what looks like two main bonding conductors which run to the cut out, I can't see any in my CU MET.

You have the following connected directly to the earth terminal in your cutout.

A) Main earth conductor from the CU.

B) Main bonding conductor #1.

C) Main bonding conductor #2.

Why? One could speculate about an idiot having been allowed unsupervised use of a screwdriver, but that wouldn't change anything.

What to do?

B & C should be removed from the cutout. You can either open it up, or just cut them off. The former is preferable - it's neater and you can check that the connection is OK.

A can stay if the earth bar in your CU can accommodate B & C, or it can be removed from the CU and connected to a new external MET to which you connect B & C and a new "A".

A) Main earth conductor from the CU.

B) Main bonding conductor #1.

C) Main bonding conductor #2.

Why? One could speculate about an idiot having been allowed unsupervised use of a screwdriver, but that wouldn't change anything.

What to do?

B & C should be removed from the cutout. You can either open it up, or just cut them off. The former is preferable - it's neater and you can check that the connection is OK.

A can stay if the earth bar in your CU can accommodate B & C, or it can be removed from the CU and connected to a new external MET to which you connect B & C and a new "A".

BAS just to be clear, you still need a connection from the CU to the external MET The last part of your reply could be read disconnect A from the the CU (but the other end still connected to the cut out) and just connect to the external MET. You would then have no link from the CU to the main earth.

Thanks ST1 but I got it. ;) I was just concerned as to why this setup has been applied as I've never seen/nor heard of it before. And also wasn't sure if I was allowed to open the cover of the cut out to check (which I presume I'm still not)

But the system is still earthed so the concern against the regs is accessibility for testing?

I thought you probably had, it was just in case someone else with less experience read it :)

Like you i have not seen this before so i guess the answer to your final point is yes but i am also still learning so my only concern is what effect are these haveing on your Ze reading and therfore is it giving a "false" reading. The Ze should really be measuring a clear earth path this doesnt strike me as such.

If it is then why do you bother disconnecting the main earth from the CU to do the test.

I would be interested in other more experienced people than me, response.

possibly a dim question, but why do your earthing and bonding go to a meter?

If that were the case, is it not possible to disconnect at the gas/water and test Ze at the CU?

is a photo possible of the meter in question?

There seems to be quite a bit of 'guess its this' and 'guess its that' going on here. Then the OP decides to check and realises that he's not talking about a meter at all (surprised? :confused: ) but the cut out. So all the guess work so far has been a bit pointless.

Dear OP, it seems you have the use of an iphone sorted. Is it really not possible to do the same with a digital camera?

Maybe you'll get a swift, clear answer if you do.

( I am a bit surprised that someone who is filling out EIC's cannot correctly identify the common parts of a common domestic installation :eek: )

He cannot disconnect it from the cut-out because he is not permitted to access it. He will need the supply authority to disconnect it.

Then connect the earthing conductor to his MET along with the main protective bonding conductors, and then run a cpc from the MET to his d.b.

Or use the d.b.'s earth bar as the MET if his DNO permit such an arrangement.

I know how to work a camera but like I said my laptop is broke so can't upload them and hey I get terminology wrong just like some people do! A mistake I made and apologised for :p

BAS just to be clear, you still need a connection from the CU to the external MET The last part of your reply could be read disconnect A from the the CU (but the other end still connected to the cut out) and just connect to the external MET. You would then have no link from the CU to the main earth.

A) Main earth conductor from the CU..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back