Zinc\Copper flat roof on new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am currently in the process of obtaining quotes for a 6m x 4m single storey extension on the back of a semi.

To obtain that quality urban look we are intend that the roof covering will be either copper or zinc, can anyone please give an idea of cost. The roof will contain two velux windows. The reason that we may choose copper is that the main roof is green glazed pan tiles and the hope is that it would be a good match when it ages.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Have a look @ some old posts - a guy called hardmetalking used to post here - right up his street :idea: It`ll be a great looking roof but the aging is slow as far as I know

Thanks for your help from the data sheet copper is only a few £ more than zinc, but would only truely know from a quote for both.

We want a flat(ish) roof and I think a metal roof will add more value and look better than felt options, and fits in well with our art deco house.

Ill get in touch with the person you mention. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the heads up guys. Yes zinc is about half the price of copper and green copper is about twice the price of bright copper. A standing seam metal roof is the best option for a roof between 5 and 15 degrees and it'll last forever. The material choice is purely down to personal preference. We even provide a green zinc now which is still less than bright copper but like I said it's all down to the look your going for.

I've commented on your profile so get in touch if you'd like more info.
Thanks.

Come on guys, Seriously.....Can anybody 'who's on planet earth' say a metal roof would last forever???

If thats the case, All new house builds would have copper, zinc, or whatever cheap metal installed when building??

Sorry but nobody can say a certain material will last forever!

Only those with limited capacity in the old brain department would take the aforementioned claim that the roof will last forever literally.

Thanks hardmetalking, ill be in touch through your details. Thanks for additional input my understanding is that you would be looking at 80 yrs+ which is a much better than felt or glass fibre. In fact lead sheet covering our porch is 80 years old ans still in good condition. Thanks again

Only those with limited capacity in the old brain department would take the aforementioned claim that the roof will last forever literally.

I have got a limited brain function but that's not my fault!

But back onto the subject.....Metal Roofs?

How come they fail?

Never mind it`s lifespan - it`s manufacture releases Sulphur Dioxide :eek: so it aint too friendly compared to lead ;)

Hahaha. Back to the old argument...... The roof will outlast the building, yes a zinc roof needs ventilation but a copper or stainless steel roof doesn't. We use a stainless steel material that's good for at least 200 years, in my eyes that's forever as I don't know any other roofer giving this guarantee?
Freddy is right the zinc fails due to a rotten substrate and yes it has more thermal movement but modern techniques allow for this. A wall is only as good as it's foundations and a roof is only as good as it's substrate.
Metal roofs are becoming more and more popular all the time on properties old and new, the reason it's not used more is down to educating people into realising it's a viable option. Those who do their research and have the budget opt for metal. As I've said many times before if you had endless money and wanted the best roof you'd go for copper, then stainless steel and then zinc. You know I'm right..............
Nige F how do you think they cast lead? Most metals are milled the same way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back