Zinsser Bullseye 123 - how thick should it be? I think mines too thick...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

It's been a year or two since I last used it (and that's how old the can I have is too)... I've just got it out and started to stir it and it is VERY thick. I've added a little water and it hasn't done much.

How thick? Well, if I stand the the stirring stick in the middle of the tin it stays there and doesn't fall to the side. And when I lift the stick out, it has a LOT of paint on it and the paint only slowly comes off slowly. The closest thing I can think of is peanut butter.

STOP PRESS.... I've just thought that I could make a quick video and upload it to Google Drive. I'll get that done then add the link.

For those who use Zinsser 123, is this thicker that it should be? I'm pretty sure it is but don't want to mess it up. If it is, should I just keep adding more water is is there something else that needs to be done?

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Peanut butter ! wow that reminds me of Walpamur :) lovely smell too. No more than 10 fluid ounces per gallon for the Zin. - according to the tech. sheet I googled. Apparently too thin reduces it's stain blocking properties. Basically thin it and see.

I don't think Steven Spielberg needs to worry....!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5TOZ--hamf8LU9OXzFBbFVqMlU

It was tough to film it on my own with my crappy camera, but as you can see, stirring it without a hand to hold the can was pretty useless as the can just moved around because of the thickness of the paint... And what you can't see is that I am using a lot of force to get that stick to move...

It's supposed to be quite a bit thinner so get rid of it and buy a new can. Adding water to dilute the paint in it's original consistency is fine, but that paint has probably lost some of it's properties in becoming that thick, so I wouldn't risk it. Was the can airtight while it was stored?

@Nige F
Have you been reading those American datasheets again? Gallons and fluid ounces, indeed! :p ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, most definitely air tight. I'm quite particular about stuff like that. And always stored indoors.... A bit annoying firstly because of the cost but secondly due to the time set back. Never mind.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back