Zinsser Bullseye 123 or Zinsser BIN over water-based varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have knotty pine doors covered in 1 coat of a water-based tinted satin varnish (Ronseal Eco Antique Pine). I want to paint them white using Dulux Satinwood (water-based). I'm slightly confused over what's better for a primer out of:

a) Zinsser 123?
b) Zinsser 123 + knotting solution?
c) Zinsser BIN?

I have a small amount left of the existing varnish, maybe that could also seal the knots?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've heard the Dulux WB satin is rubbish, sikkens BL satura is excellent and a few guys on here rate the johnstones (which is cheaper).

Bin is best for ceiling knots and is also a good binder coat between varnish and satinwood, i'm not entirely sure 123 seals knots but anyway my choice would be coverstain. Also varnish generally seals knots, at least i've never seen knots bleeding through varnish, you'll still be best to use a binder coat though

ok, it seems people report that Zinsser BIN can still let knots bleed through after a year or two. so seems best to do:

Sand existing varnish over knots? --> Rustins White Knotting Sealer x2 coats --> Scuff sand sealer? --> Zinsser 123 --> Sikkens BL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back