Zone Motorised Valve Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

Ive checked the Wiki first to see if answer there but didnt see it.

Basically. I have a Wood Chip boiler that continues to pump water around the system until temp falls below 50c, even when the Program is "off schedule" / "complete". ( which isnt a fault obviously and is all good )

My issue is that the zone valves close at that point too ( because program is done ) and the water from the Boiler doesnt go anywhere ( around in circles me thinks ) .

Sometimes at night , I will manually open ( with lever on top ) the HW zone valve so I can make use of the hot water thats still available.

So ( sorry for the Essay ) , How do I keep the Zone Valves open while temp is still "high"?

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve
I think a bit more info on your system will be required as
Sometimes at night , I will manually open ( with lever on top ) the HW zone valve so I can make use of the hot water thats still available.

is confusing.
What type of cylinder/thermal store etc have you got?

Matt

Hi Matt ,

Sorry - What I meant was - situation like this:

Heat is on ( Rad Zone Valves upstairs and down ) and the program has just finished. ( Boiler at 65c say...)

I "manually" open the Zone valve so that the heat still being sent from boiler goes into the Hot Water Cylinder.

Would love to automate somehow.

Will get more detail when I get home , cheers.
( By Store do you mean the "Wood Chip" Boiler?)

You should not have conventional motor open/spring close valves on any solid fuel fired system, for the reasons you have flagged up. There must be a permanently open path to the cylinder plus enough gravity circulation heat leak rads to keep the boiler below boiling even in the event of a power cut or pump breakdown.

Your system has potential dangers.

Sponsored Links
You should not have conventional motor open/spring close valves on any solid fuel fired system, for the reasons you have flagged up. There must be a permanently open path to the cylinder plus enough gravity circulation heat leak rads to keep the boiler below boiling even in the event of a power cut or pump breakdown.

But it's a wood chip boiler mate, do you understand how these appliances are installed? Many are on sealed systems etc.

Hi Matt ,

Sorry - What I meant was - situation like this:

Heat is on ( Rad Zone Valves upstairs and down ) and the program has just finished. ( Boiler at 65c say...)

I "manually" open the Zone valve so that the heat still being sent from boiler goes into the Hot Water Cylinder.

Would love to automate somehow.

Will get more detail when I get home , cheers.
( By Store do you mean the "Wood Chip" Boiler?)

Stephen mate, do you have a rough sketch of how your system is installed? Or link to the wood chip boiler?

Basically. I have a Wood Chip boiler

A boiler is not the same as a stove mysteryman
As I said earlier More info is required

Matt

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back