zone valve high pitch noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The UFH 2-port polypipe zone valve started making a high pitch whistling noise this winter.

As soon as the UFH kicks in the valve opens and hot water goes through. A few seconds later I hear a steady whistle sound that travels through the entire house and drives me nuts. It sounds like those dog whistles.

I detached the motor and I'm 100% sure it's happening from the valve body. When I played with the shaft to close position the noise went away.

20201118_173533.jpg

I thought there might be something caught inside, so I opened up the front plate after turning things off and 22mm isolation valve above for hot input.

The pic below is exactly what the valve looks like inside, I had a good look and nothing was out of the ordinary. I wiped clean and put it back in, noise went away.

Honeywell-motorised-valve-rubber-ball.jpg

Two days later it is back again!

Do I need to replace the valve and if so where do I find the part?

Another issu I spotted is the 22mm isolation valve has probably also had it. Even at perfectly closed position it was letting radiator water leak through and I couldn't stop no matter how much I fiddled with.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
A Honeywell 2-port zone valve should be a drop-in replacement for that. The isolation valve above is for hot & cold water systems - they don't like being on heating systems and you're lucky it didn't leak out of the screw head and spray you in the eye. Get it changed out before it makes a mess

A Honeywell 2-port zone valve should be a drop-in replacement for that.

It is actually a polypipe but I presume the component is similar or same.

So is it a replacement then? Can I just buy the body component alone without the powerhead?

edit:

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.c...neywell-40003918006-conversion-kit-p-288.html

The isolation valve above is for hot & cold water systems - they don't like being on heating systems and you're lucky it didn't leak out of the screw head and spray you in the eye. Get it changed out before it makes a mess

lovely! ...not, what you find out when digging into previous installations.

Funnily enough that was all "put right" after original installation by an experienced plumber/gas safe engineer. What would the correct 22mm iso look like? And I guess your note includes replacing both outgoing and incoming return iso valve behind then?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I thought it would be straightforward but I cannot find the spare part for Polypipe 2-zone valves?

The spare for Honeywell valves is easy to find, however the polypipe brass plate is different and also has a brass pin poking out for the motor to attach.

Do you need to buy the entire thing with the motor if you just need to replace the brass body?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back