Zone valve on flow or return?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im zoning part of my heating system... basically a spur (flow and return) that goes off and heats the bedrooms.

Does it matter whether the zone valve goes on the flow or the return?

The return might be slightly easer to access, i'd have put it on the flow otherwise but I don't see why it wont work on either?

Sponsored Links
the flow is preferable, especially if the pipework rises, but either is fine.

Flow is best as you may get some creep if on the return.

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a crude scetch showing location of pump in relation to proposed valve. it may not be as simple as you think. think how you wire it to come on as a stand alone circuit. If I understand what you mean you would need the origional part on to work the spur. Usually cicuits are zoned straight from the pump so they can be opperated independantly. Be carefull where your return taps back in as incorrect placement can cause unwanted circulation in other parts of the system (backwards) return must be last tapping back.

If you zone off one part you cant then use it stand alone if the rest of the system is open.

The pipework does rise from where the zone valve will be. In fact, the valve will be on the lowest part of the system.

Trying to understand how I could get 'creep on the return' but not following i'm afraid....?

RE wiring, it will be wired totally independently to the heating off a fused spur. I do not require this zone to be heated when the rest of the heating is off. A programmable stat will operate it to allow for frost proection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back