Zoning CHS on an average 3 bed house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of gutting a property I've bought and recently just ripped out all of the CHS.

This property is going to be for myself and will be used for some working from home and relaxing (eventually, when its completed!). When I'm working, I'd like my office to be a set temperature, and the rest of the house slightly lower (say 18c), but at the end of the day drop the office down to 18c and make the downstairs higher.

I'd like to do all this without messing with TRVs all day every day, so I'm guessing I need multiple thermostats and electronic valves and probably a "not your normal" programmer (as it would need to control those valves and thermostats).

Does anything like this exist for the residential market ?

Sponsored Links
Honeywell EvoHome is your friend.

8 zones all controllable form a central unit that talks wirelessly to rad valves. No additional plumbing required and can be taken with you when you leave.

If cost is no object, have a look at the Maincor website. You can pipe your heating much as you would do underfloor heating with a manifold and separate pipework to each radiator. You can then control each zone or several radiators with a programmable thermostat or something like the Evohome to control it from one screen.

Sponsored Links
If cost is no object, have a look at the Maincor website. You can pipe your heating much as you would do underfloor heating with a manifold and separate pipework to each radiator. You can then control each zone or several radiators with a programmable thermostat or something like the Evohome to control it from one screen.

Which is pretty much what I have done.

Yes exactly the same results for a lot less money but a manifold means you don't have to have the massive white boxes on the radiators. Just saying...

The prices of those Honeywell boxes seem a little high at £70/unit + £200 for the controller. It would cost me about £800 to do the house after installing all the rads and pipework. Affordable, but if it looks ugly afterwards due to the white boxes stuck on the radiator, maybe not value for money.

What would I need for the Maincor? Looks like 2 8-way Manifolds £576, use MLCP instead of copper pipe, usual fittings and fixings, stats, and a £200 programmer? So for a property with no CHS, may not work out that much more expensive?

Champagne ideas, beer money.

Next alternative is the heatmiser range. Again with the ufh manifold, but with wireless stats controlling actuators.

Honeywell Are rumoured to be bringing out nicer looking heads soon - but when we don't know.

My system at home consists of:

Evohome sundial pack (for hot water control too)
6 x dt92e stats
2 manifolds - one for rads, one for ground floor Underfloor heating.
1 Honeywell hcc80 ufh controller upgraded for 8 zones
1 Hr80 head for the utility read (had some spare and didn't want another dt92)
1 wireless opentherm bridge to talk to the boiler (from the evo).

The rads don't have valves on them as it is all done at the manifold. Yes it is totally OTT.

Was it easy to set up?

Surprisingly actually despite the other bridge having to come from Holland with no English manual.

The heatmiser solution I have just completed for a customer and it was a very interesting alternative to the Honeywell solution. To get all clever and networked would be easier than Honeywell, but for a 3 bedroom place you have to wonder if it is really worth it... really?

A budget solution is the pegler itemp range. They hav e wireless programming from a laptop as well As a natty remote control. But it isn't as flexible as you might think, but VERY effective for what it is.

I dont know you don't buy a vaillant or a viessmann vitodens 200 and plug in their weather compensation controls...both cost about £150..zoning is a great idea, but has high cost, and the downside is that it means you have to set as many timers as zones...most people struggle with just one.. 6 will drive you mad..

I have a Viessmann 200 with WC at home but I still zoned everything via a manifold because I want to control towel rails and spare room rads etc.

Nice setup Dan_Robinson, is the Honeywell UFH controller good quality? Their room stats quality seems to be going downhill...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back