Using 2 thermostat to control Grnd & level 1 separately

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just had the hydronic panels installed, with all bedrooms are upstair (1 water circuit, no zones). 1 thermostat to control the whole house.

Initially, the thermostat was installed downstair with the temperature drops below 18C (65F) at night, while I want to maintain the bedroom temp at 20C (68F) or above through out the night; as a result, the boiler is always on (very inefficient!).

I then move the thermostat to the master bedroom (upstair) and it appears the gas consumption has dropped since the boiler is not on all the time. The problem I have is during weekend, we spend more time downstair, and since the temperature in upper level is always higher during day, I have to keep running back and forth adjusting the temperature to make sure the lower level temperature is maintained comfortably.

I'm thinking of installing another thermostat downstair, to control the floor separately, but unsure if it would work. My plan is:
- Install extra thermostat downstair.
- At night, turn OFF the downstair thermostat (slide the control of OFF position), and only use the upstair one to control the temparature for the whole house.
- Duing weekend, turn off the upstair thermostat, and use the downstair one to control the temperature for the whole house
Would this work?
Your advice, any other suggestion would be very much appreciated. (zoning is not possible for me due to pipe access etc).
Many thanks in advance

Tony.

-

Sponsored Links
I want to maintain the bedroom temp at 20C (68F) or above through out the night
This is a UK based forum, so we may do things differently here.

Yes, your method will work, but I would query why you need to keep the bedrooms at 20C overnight. The design temperature for bedrooms in the UK is 18C and most people do not have their bedrooms heated at all at night.

If you decide to use your proposed solution, two programmable thermostats might be a better solution. You could then programme them to swap over automatically.

Hi D_Hailsham,

much appreciate your prompt response :)
I live in Melbourne Australia, so the outside temp at night rarely drops below 0; 18C is cold for me :) Besides, my bedroom has a lot of windows and it loses heat fairly quick.
Do you mind explain how to do the automatic swapover bwtween 2 thermostat? The current one that I have is Honeywell cm907, and I'm thinking of buy a 2nd on of the same model.
Thanks heaps in advance.

Tony.

Sponsored Links
Do you mind explain how to do the automatic swapover bwtween 2 thermostat? The current one that I have is Honeywell cm907, and I'm thinking of buy a 2nd one of the same model.
It's not very difficult, or sophisticated. ;)

Say you want the downstairs to be at 30C (you said you like it warm :LOL: ) during the day from 7AM to 10PM and the upstairs at 20C from 10PM to 7AM.

Set the downstairs one so period 1 starts at 7AM with a temperature of 30C and set period 6 to a much lower temperature, say 18C, at 10PM. This means the downstairs stat will want to turn the boiler off at 10PM

Now set the upstairs stat with period 1 at 10PM with a temperature of 20C and period 6 with a temperature of, say 18C at 7AM.

Provided the two clocks are synchronized the down stairs stat will control, the temperature from 7AM to 10pm and the upstairs stat will control it from 10PM to 7AM.

As heat rises, you really need to keep the bedroom doors closed during the day so they don't get overheated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back