Independent advice on certification software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am an NICEIC approved contractor and i have always preferred hand writing my own certificates however i am very computer literate and i am certifying work so much more now i really need to move to software versions, can you please give me independent advice on whats the best software to use, thank you

Paul Jason Electrical

Sponsored Links
I'm sure that the mighty NICEIC have a preferred software package that they will sell to you at silly money? :mrgreen:

But some questions first.

What/how do you want to use this software?

Will you input the values in the field? On what device? laptop, tablet, IOS/Android Windows, etc
Or at home on what device/OS?

Never found any that was any use.

They are a combinations of
- ridiculously expensive
- so cumbersome to use it is quicker to write certs by hand
- requiring MS Office to be installed to actually work
- can only be installed on 1 device due to silly licence/activation restrictions
- can't print onto plain paper, meaning you still have to buy pre printed certificates
- containing certificates which are poorly designed or missing some types, e.g. only having a 3 signature EIC which is useless for most domestic works.

I used Excel and mainly to let it work out the pass/fail limits as so easy to make a slip up which means it fails on paper but in fact is OK.

This happened to my son. Change in paperwork not reading correct he had been filling the sheets in for so long did about 6 houses before he noticed his error.

He had intended to tell his boss but forgot. Left the fire 6 months latter and when binning old paperwork realised never corrected. Seems not only had he not noticed neither did his firm, or the scheme provider, or the LABC. However these documents will be lodged with the LABC and in 5 years time some one could realise they did not pass. Even though no real fault with house.

With firms I worked for we used software from the manufacturer of the test equipment however this was a long time ago and it did not highlight errors it simply printed the information held in the tester.

The problem I see is where you change hardware and then look at buying software all over again to match new hardware. I know with Robin I used VB and wrote my own software to alter the readings taken. What had happened was the electricians forgot to set the hardware to their name and once up-loaded it could not be altered. Well at least using their software with VB it was easy.

This means of course one has to consider hard copies with signatures as all to easy to alter computer records.

So why do you want software? What will it do for you? If just to make it look neat any software will do. But to reduce paperwork then as well as you being able to alter things also people can claim you altered it when you didn't. As to doing the calculations to highlight errors great to tell you but you may not want it to tell others so with Excel great the printed version did not have warnings.

I would guess Access could be used but I was not really that good with computers.

Of course Open Office also has versions based on Java rather than VBA and you could use them. You could if as you say you are computer literate write it in Java script.

Sponsored Links
As a PS wrote the Excel program pre-2008 and when the new regulations came out all the parameters needed changing and I had not put REM's to say what did what and could not remember how I had written it.

So you have to consider the same will apply to any pre-set software with new regulations you may need to bin it and start again.

When returning home and entering readings into the PC to then find the volt drop will not comply it's a little late. Not sure if I want to know that really I should return and change CSA of cable used? To plan great but post installation we not so sure I want to know.

AFAIK, NICEIC like you to use amtech sofware which will print directly onto their official certificates.

Personally I use iCertifi. It's on iPad and iPhone. You can download it and use it for free to have a go with it etc. You only have to pay to export the certificates. They are done as a PDF so you can email them or print them out.

It cost me £30 for a 6 month subscription.

iPad screen grab:
ACD4CCD0-C252-4A74-A5D4-429F5C245E4D-7022-00000B569E75EE7E.jpg

Photo of certificate:
EE343174-E6C8-4484-8929-1B268129BA1C-7022-00000B59E0C937E0.jpg

AFAIK, NICEIC like you to use amtech sofware which will print directly onto their official certificates.

Personally I use iCertify. It's on iPad and iPhone. You can download it and use it for free to have a go with it etc. You only have to pay to export the certificates. They are done as a PDF so you can email them or print them out.

It cost me £30 for a 6 month subscription.

Who makes that software? I can't find it on the iTunes store (perhaps I'm just being thick)

I just put in icertifi on app store. It's by James Andrews if that helps?

The NIC do one, and you pay per cert you print. It prints onto plain paper.

Amtech can print onto plain paper, or onto blank NIC forms.

Amtech is a little buggy at the moment IMO - The 17th update was rushed. They also try to tie you into a premier care agreement for ongoing updates and support - It's too expensive IMO. We just buy a new a amtech version every so often rather than purchasing the premier care.

The best thing with amtech is the cable calc software that comes as part of the package.

It doesn't require MS Office either, but who doesn't have that these days?

why even pay for certifictation through any app or provider? A plain, fully, accurately and properly filled example certificate is enough. No requirement for anything else other than preference.

It looks better if it's done on a computer. Gives a more professional image to the customer IMO.

Same reason I own my own vacuum etc. It looks good to the customer and keeps the work coming in.

Personally I use iCertifi. It's on iPad and iPhone. You can download it and use it for free to have a go with it etc. You only have to pay to export the certificates. .........

Rf, I had downloaded that software on my iPhone to Play with and thought it looked quite good. When into self employed I was tempted to get an iPad and use that. How easy is it to use in the field? Or do you find yourself scribbling results down and tapping it into the iPad afterwards in the van? Thanks Chris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back