Fitting beading to skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a room with the original wooden floor. Generally there is a gap between bottom of the skirting board and the floor (varying in size at different points). Someone suggested that i fit some wooden beading around the bottom of the skirting. I've tried out a piece of beading and it's looks pretty good.

So, the aesthetics of it does not really worry me. However, I've read different opinions about whether there should be a gap between the floor and the skirting board (i.e. to allow expansion and contraction of the wood). Just wondering if this was true and whether fitting beading around the skirting would be a bad idea?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A lot of folk fit their skirting on after the floor has been laid to cover the expansion gap and give a nice flush-looking finish.
For those that don't do it that way.....there is beading.
If you do fit this there are differing opinions as to how to fit it.
Personally i've rested it on the floor but attached it to the skirting, which still allows the floor to move under it during changes in temp etc.

Hope that helps a little.
I'm sure the pro's will be along soon to help further. :)

Thanks for your reply. I can't see the skirting coming off without a fight as it's an old-ish house and it would be way above my skill set!

How did you fit it? Just using pins or some kind of adhesive as well?

Sponsored Links
I've used both ways tbh; pins on one job and adhesive on another.
I think i prefer the adhesive method, but if you ever want to take it off, you'll have a mess on your hands.

Just a thin bead of adhesive from a gun near the centre of the back of the scotia (beading) and push firmly onto the skirting, but allow it to naturally sit on the floor. As long as you don't kick it, it'll set nicely and as long as you don't overdo the adhesive, it won't squish out the bottom and stick to the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back