Replacing post in existing base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Has anyone successfuuly replaced a rotten post by removing the rotten bit from the concrete base and driving in a new post?

I am aware of other methods but just wondered if anyone has ever tried what I am asking.

Posts in question are 75mm square and I have reason to believe the section in the ground is relatively short, say around 300mm. The concrete is probably much deeped but the posts were set high to take a trellis on the top of the fence panel.

Sponsored Links
yes but I was surprised it worked

after one rotted off I started drying to drill out the stump like an old tooth. To my surprise, after a while the stump seemed to vibrate and I was able to pull it out on the (big) drill. My guess is that the heat had dried it out a bit and made it contract.

I put a concrete spur down the hole as I never wanted to have a rotten post again.

I've also done this method and yes it does work although it can be fiddly.
I've also done a similiar job , just this week as it happens, where I went to replace a couple of damaged panels and a post. Thee post had rotten off and I dug a small hole to the side of the concrete and then broke out one side of it leaving me with a "three sided " hole in the concrete which I was able to slot the new post in and then backfill with a bag of post mix .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

When I got down to the job I found that the existing post bases were really quite poor, so ended up doing traditional concrete spurs. As ladylola, when I excavated, I also removed the rotten stumps leaving a three sided hole in the old base, except the top 200mm of the backside abutted a plastic drainage channel so in effect only two sides of the old post hole were sound. The old post void was simply filled with concrete when I put the spurs in. I was able to reuse the old posts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back