Stud Wall-How easy to do yourself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

My partner and I have just bought a house and want to put a stud wall up separating the living room from the hall as it is open plan at the moment, how easy is it to do and has anyone had any disasters??

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

My partner and I have just bought a house and want to put a stud wall up separating the living room from the hall as it is open plan at the moment, how easy is it to do and has anyone had any disasters??

Thanks in advance :)

It's very easy. I'm not a builder but have built several. Use 4x2 timber (some would use 3x2 but I think that's a bit flimsy). This is my method but I'm sure someone who actually knows what he is talking about will be along in a moment.

Say you are building a wall 10 feet long and 8 feet high. Fix a 10 foot length of 4x2 (the sole plate) to the floor with 75mm screws, and another (the header plate) directly above it to the ceiling. It would help to discover where the first floor joists are so you can screw into those. Make sure not to hit cables or water pipes. If your ground floor is solid, then use brown plugs and 4 inch screws.

Then fix a vertical stud at each end between the two plates. Length will be 8 feet less the thickness of the plates. Fix by skew screwing at an angle (builders here will probably be horrified, but I use 75mm plasterboard screws as they self-drive very well). Then fix vertical studs along the wall at 400 centres (600mm is OK but 400 is more robust).

Then fix horizontal bits of 4x2 (noggings) at 1/3 and 2/3 way up between the verticals, to brace it all. These you can screw into the ends, through the vertical studs (stagger them by 2 inches as you work across, so you can do this).

Then fix your plasterboard to the plates, studs and noggins with 32mm plasterboard screws (PB is 1200mm wide, which is why you fixed your studs at 400mm or 600mm centres). If bothered about noise, put something like Soundbloc insulation batts inside before fixing the second side of plasterboard.

Ring your plasterer and get him to come and skim it. Fit skirting and decorate.

If you want a door in it, get a door and a suitable size door casing from a builder's merchant. The door casing needs to be fixed between studs, so adjust stud spacing to suit, with a nogging across the top - screw through the casing to those, making sure all is plumb, straight and square so you don't distort the casing by screwing to a bent stud ... Obviously cut out the bit of the sole plate where the door opening is.

Happy to offer any more help from my own experience, but I expect a proper builder will be along in a moment. None of my walls has fallen down so far.

Cheers
Richard

Oh, and if you're making one room into two, you might want to consider if you need another light, and another light switch ...

Cheers
Richard

As described, but note that you should use 12.5mm plasterboard and add some insulation whilst your at it. Every little helps.

Sponsored Links
Building the wall is easy - the awkward bits and those that need a bit of skill are if there is coving and skirting that needs to be cut into. Also bare in mind that you will need a new light in the hall bit, and also the existing ceiling light, if currently central, will be off centre in the new living room and may look a bit odd and need moving.

Thanks for your replies! I think we are going to give it a go, we don't have issues with lights as it looks like it was originally a hall way and the previous owners have literally just knocked the wall down, flooring is different in each part too!
We know what our job for the weekend is going to be now :)

Thanks for your replies! I think we are going to give it a go, we don't have issues with lights as it looks like it was originally a hall way and the previous owners have literally just knocked the wall down, flooring is different in each part too!
We know what our job for the weekend is going to be now :)

Let us know how you get on, and post pictures :)

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back