Heavy Picture hanging on plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a fairly heavy picture that I want to hang on the wall. The picture is approx 4'x2.5' and weighs about 12KG.

We have been looking around, and are not sure on the best way to go about fitting this to the plasterboard walls.

I've read some suggestions like using redidrive screws, and Hollow Wall Anchors to affix this to the plasterboard, but also read some details about screwing straight into the stud. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best method?

If the best method is to go into the stud, is there any recomendations on relatively cheap tools that could be bought to check for where the studs are in the walls, and maybe about roughly how far apart the studs might generally be?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

Sponsored Links
Stud is best assuming it's in line with where you want the pic to hang otherwise plasterboard plugs [redidrive etc] .

Sponsored Links
As others have said, find the studs . . . if you can't we use Snaptoggles at work when we have no alternative to mounting Screens on plasterboard, quick and easy and their strength to weight ratio is amazing . . we even use them for mounting mahussive video conferencing systems onto walls (they are twin layers of boarding but still never had an accident with em)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC1ZuxuZ2PU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back