air in rads every x2 weeks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help please,

have a 2 year old boiler (all working fine) down stairs in the garage, approx 9 rads and tank in the roof, have experienced this for 2 years now (since moving in) house 13 year old.

had b/g out they thought it was sensible to start cutting pipes near the pump but couldnt say for shaw if this would solve the problem, cost 150.00 i didnt do this as dad a plumber and my knowledge didnt want to spend the money as they wasnt sure.

got the plumber out that fitted the boiler, he highed the intake in the small tank (but couldnt see that it was sucking in air) but did sort out the rad down stairs, as there were orginally x2 upstairs and x1 downstairs it caused the problem too

he also put the pump on no3 as it was on no2 (as number 1 never had enough power and took for ages)

not long after he left i had the same problem but as i say just in one of the bedrooms and ensuite,

is there anything else i can do or is it live with it, bleed these x2 rads say every 2 weeks (by that time you can notice they are a bit colder at the top one in the middle the other at the end)

any advise help please.....

(both plumbers really cant see anything wrong.

Sponsored Links
also forgot to add, we have a conservatory and he rad in the kitchen has beend t'd off to another one in the conservatory, after investigation this was weeping from a few fittings, all tightened up and ptfe on an item all water tight,

99% there are no water weeps/leaks any were now at all

its been on pump number 2 before, and still did it but this was before the plumber came and changed the hight above the header tank, the house has been warmer on pump 3, (as im guessing it just heats everything up quicker)

you think try pump 2 again?? thanks

Sponsored Links
Get someone to turn the heating off whilst you are in the loft and look for a rush of water into the header tank from the open vent. With a new boiler on an old system when the pump shuts down you quite often get a surge over into the header tank due to the extra resistance. I've needed to raise the open vent higher than the manufacturers recommended minimum on quite a few occasions.

sounds like there is a problem with the cold feed and xpansion pipes

should be

open vent / cold feed / pump.

hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back