Bathroom basin leaking from basin/waste pipe joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

There's water leaking from my bathroom sink waste pipe. The leak appears at the top of the plastic collar where it meets the enamel of the basin. The water is leaking when the plug is in so I guess it must be getting past the chrome plug surround. I'm not sure if this has just started or if it has been gradually getting worse but I've only just noticed.

How do I go about fixing this? I didn't fit the sink but it has been in use for about 4 years. Is it likely there was one of those dodgy cardboard gasket/seal things used which has given up and needs replaced. Do I just disassemble the waste and put it back together with a proper seal/silicon?
How does it come apart? Remove the plastic water trap from the bottom and the remote plug mechanism and then unscrew the rest from the basin? I noticed if I hold the chrome part where the rod from the plug mechanism goes in at the back I can turn the whole assembly right up to the plug surround quite easily. Should it be so easy to turn?

Thanks for reading :)

DSCF2962_zps4fc427e8.jpg

DSCF2963_zps78597a87.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hey, thanks for that. I really appreciate your advice. I live more or less next door to Buy and Queue so I'll get round there first thing tomorrow.

If you have time could you give me some pointers as to how I dismantle the waste/plughole assembly. I've never seen a basin in anything other than fully operational mode so have no idea how it all fits together. Presumably I need to unscrew the metal plug assembly from the bottom of the basin, insert part of the basin mate at the top so it fits and seals between the chrome plug surround and the basin and screw the rest on at the bottom. Does that sound something like it. Should I just start unscrewing things and follow my nose. Can't be that hard I guess. How do I separate the surround at the top from the bottom part so I can get them both out. I noticed earlier the whole lot was turning as one and would obviously need to be separated. Do the two parts screw together?

I imagine any instructions supplied will be geared towards the experienced installer and minimal at best.

Thanks again :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back