Upgrading Central Heating to S plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have Scottish gas 330 boiler(Glow Warm) which is currently controlled by Potterton EP2002 programmer. I believe Gravity fed hot water and fully pumped central heating system with grundfos pump and Honeywell 2 port valve which is connected 28mm pipe 8 mm pipes going to radiators. I am looking for upgrading my system which will give me following benefit.

1. I want to upgrade the programmer with room thermostat(wireless).
2. I want programmer also give me flexibility of controlling my hot water and central heating separately. Possibly controlling heating upstairs and downstairs
Please advise me what will be the best approach and cost effective. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The electrics can generally be easily sorted but the plumbing is a different matter altogether. Can you post some pictures of the plumbing showing the cylinder flow and returns / pump / motorised valve / vent pipe and feed pipe.

Some installations require more work than others to convert to fully pumped. Due to your post I am assuming you have gravity hot water primaries and pumped central heating. There is no such thing as a pumped gravity system ;)

I would also check that wiring schematic!

You are quite right...that's me explaining in my own words! Sorry about that. Actually boiler is downstairs in utility room and Cylinder is upstairs airing cupboard. I will take more pictures and post. I was wondering which one is the best option Y plan or S plan? Please note I am only getting expert advise as I do not want some one rip me off. Please advice which system is easier and cost effective. Thanks

Nobody is perfect! - I even forgot to mention a photo of the boiler pipework!

With some photo's it will hopefully be clearer what arrangement seems best in your case i.e. Y plan or S plan

Sponsored Links
1. I want to upgrade the programmer with room thermostat(wireless).
2. I want programmer also give me flexibility of controlling my hot water and central heating separately. Possibly controlling heating upstairs and downstairs

Easiest way to achieve above is with the new Drayton MiTime two channel (hw and ch) programmer with built in receiver for it's wireless room stat.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/drayton-mitime-rf-pack-2-t720r/

If you want seperate control for upstairs and downstairs heating, their T740R offers extra channels and a second room stat to achieve this.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/drayton-mitime-rf-pack-4-t740r/

Just wondering Drayton MiTime RF Pack 2 T720R needs new piping and adding new 2 port valves? Remember I currently have gravity fed hot water and fully pumped system with 2 port valve. Please advise. Thanks

I don't usually give free info out on here, but as none of these fine men have pointed out to you , you do not have gravity water with that boiler , unless it boils it's *******s off every time you turn it on, you already have a fully pumped system , probably an s/y plan ;)

You already have 2 motorised valves, one with bubble wrap or something on, and one without. This looks like it is already an S-plan.

What is odd is the drain cock under the second valve - are there two pipes under that bubble wrap?

OLLIE20 what made you think that its S or Y plan? I have only one 2 port valve on the system which will be used for central heating and its definitely not 3 port valve so its not Y plan.

Mogget. There is only one 2 port valve in system. Please note I have included more photo's of the valve just to give clear position of the valve. Thanks

Mogget. There is only one 2 port valve in system. Please note I have included more photo's of the valve just to give clear position of the valve. Thanks

So what's that second silver box with the drain cock under it then - or did the drain cock disappear? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back