Central Heating Programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old clockwork Sangamo central heating programmer fitted at the moment and wish to upgrade to a more modern electronic LCD type. Are there any preferences for which type I should go for? The central heating system is gravity fed with the choice of either hot water only or hot water and radiator heating, I don't appear to be able to have radiator heat only.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do you wish to upgrade your system to have the hot water heating fed by the pump?

Either way, you could fit a programmer that will control the radiators and set the temperatures by using a wireless thermostat. Drayton is pretty good.

Thanks for that Oilman. Is it a big job to upgrade the system to have the hot water heating fed by the pump?

Tip (place where people dump rubbish)

when you change your programmer make a note / drawing which wire goes to where, it will save you a lot of grief

Sponsored Links
You will need to add a valve and some pipework. It is not a particularly difficult task, but it will take quite a few hours. You will also need to do some homework. Have a look here to start with.

The idea of all this work is to save you fuel, so in the long term, you should save money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back