Y-plan and frost stat wiring query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been helping a colleague with some stuff in his house. It's taken me a while to get my head around the wiring for the heating - at first I had 5 ends of 3-core&E cable until I found the last JB hiding where the original boiler was.

First question. It's been wired without a connection from the HW-Off terminal on the time clock to the grey wire on the valve head. As I understand it, this means that if the time clock allows CH without HW, then the valve will always run to the central position when the CH is on. But because the orange wire won't go live, then the boiler and pump won't come on.
So CH won't work without HW also on at the time clock.

Have I got that correct ?

Next step having figured out how it's wired, is to figure out what is and isn't working. Not sure the room stat (or perhaps CH output on programmer is working either :rolleyes:

The system also has a pair of stats in the garage (where the boiler is fitted). A frost stat and a pipe stat. The two are in series, so I figure the frost stat will turn on the boiler when the air temperature is low, and the pipe stat will disable this when the pipe is warm (it's set at about 30˚).
Is it normal to connect this so that it just turns on the boiler and pump regardless of HW and CH settings (as it is now), or so it overrides the CH clock and stat to bring the heating on, or something else ? I guess just turning on the pump and boiler will protect the vulnerable pipework - the house itself can be protected by leaving the heating on with the room stat turned down low.

Lastly, I imagine this isn't uncommon, did the tiler think electricians are also gynaecologists and that's why he left such a small hole to work through ? For good measure, if you look closely you'll see an unconnected and unsleeved earth wire floating about in the back of the box.

Sponsored Links
First question. It's been wired without a connection from the HW-Off terminal on the time clock to the grey wire on the valve head. As I understand it, this means that if the time clock allows CH without HW, then the valve will always run to the central position when the CH is on. But because the orange wire won't go live, then the boiler and pump won't come on. So CH won't work without HW also on at the time clock.
For heating to be on by itself, there must be 240V on the grey wire. This can come either from the Programmer HW OFF terminal or from the cylinder thermostat "satisfied" terminal. If the wire from HW OFF is missing, you will only get CH by itself if the HW is ON but not calling for heat.

The system also has a pair of stats in the garage (where the boiler is fitted). A frost stat and a pipe stat. The two are in series, so I figure the frost stat will turn on the boiler when the air temperature is low, and the pipe stat will disable this when the pipe is warm (it's set at about 30˚).
Is it normal to connect this so that it just turns on the boiler and pump regardless of HW and CH settings (as it is now), or so it overrides the CH clock and stat to bring the heating on, or something else ?
Honeywell recommend connecting the output from the frost+pipe stat chain to the valve white terminal.

For heating to be on by itself, there must be 240V on the grey wire. This can come either from the Programmer HW OFF terminal or from the cylinder thermostat "satisfied" terminal. If the wire from HW OFF is missing, you will only get CH by itself if the HW is ON but not calling for heat.
Yes, I thought that, I just wanted to check I hadn't missed something obscure. It's the first time I've had to deal with a Y-plan setup, took me a little while to figure out the workings :rolleyes:
The system also has a pair of stats in the garage (where the boiler is fitted). A frost stat and a pipe stat.
Honeywell recommend connecting the output from the frost+pipe stat chain to the valve white terminal.
That makes sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back