NIC or Elecsa (or other)??

NAPIT no doubt have good intentions at raising standards and having higher entry requirements than some other schemes.

However, for domestic work in the real world it won't make the slightest difference - the average customer won't even know what Part P is, never mind the differences between the various schemes.

Even those customers which are aware of Part P just want the relevant pieces of paper at the end of the day. Why should they care what logo is printed on them?

Sponsored Links
I've been with the NIC for just under 30 years and I've never had a problem to speak of. But I have noticed that since they've dropped their charity status the tail is now trying to wag the dog.

I also can't speak for DI status as mine is tagged into full scope. I think if I were going for DI only then I would probably opt for the ECA or NAPIT.

But for commercial, (at the moment) the NIC is by far the best brand for opening doors.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have since joined ELECSA and find them to be be ok. Registering certs is a piece of cake, they seem pretty helpful on the phone. The only thing is that they are not as popular as the NICEIC. Also the assesment was a little bit too easy. Maybe next year I'll jump across to the NIC....

Outside of commercial/industrial works, most people haven't heard of any of the schemes, so it makes little difference which one you choose.

Only 3 to choose from anyway - NICEIC, NAPIT or ELECSA. The other ECA one closed recently and was combined with ELECSA.

Alhough BSI operate a scheme, it has so few members there is either some major problem with joining it, or they just can't be bothered to promote the scheme to anyone. This indicates they only have 259 members for the entire country.

Sponsored Links
Thanks EarthElectrics for letting us know how you got on. I know what you mean on the subject of the ELECSA assessment... So thats across the board regardless of the assessor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back