Legitimisation of an unregisted rewire...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, how does one get an extension rewire (that has recently been comlpeted by a competent, but unqualified person) tested and certified by a NIC/NAPIT/ELECSA approved Part P Electrician? Is it possible? Thanks, Mike.

Sponsored Links
You find an electrician and ask him to do a Periodic Inspection - now that it's all finished, and was done by someone unqualified, you won't get any other form of certificate from him. And presumably the person who did the work didn't issue an EIC either, so there will now never be one for this rewire.

The electrician doesn't need to be registered with a Part P scheme, because he can't certify the work as compliant with the Building Regulations, so the installation won't have the Completion Certificate it should have, and which could well be needed when the property is sold.

You might be able to apply to your LABC for regularisation, but they might insist that all the work is uncovered for inspection purposes.

Who organised the building works? How did they come to sort out only some of the Buildings Regulations approvals that were needed?

You find an electrician and ask him to do a Periodic Inspection - now that it's all finished, and was done by someone unqualified, you won't get any other form of certificate from him. And presumably the person who did the work didn't issue an EIC either, so there will now never be one for this rewire.

The electrician doesn't need to be registered with a Part P scheme, because he can't certify the work as compliant with the Building Regulations, so the installation won't have the Completion Certificate it should have, and which could well be needed when the property is sold.

You might be able to apply to your LABC for regularisation, but they might insist that all the work is uncovered for inspection purposes.

Who organised the building works? How did they come to sort out only some of the Buildings Regulations approvals that were needed?

I did the exact same thing for the wifes workmate, extension was wired as a "foreigner", spark would not issue certs and walked, BC accepted a PIR from me (non registered)

Depends on how strict BC are in applying the rules

Friend of mine added sockets and lights to a sizeable conservatory and looked to save a few pennies by doing the 'simple' wiring himself. Now he is worried about the lack of relevant paperwork. I told him he could get the wiring 'owned' and certified by another electrician, but it seems thats not the case...

Sponsored Links
No reputable sparks should "own" anyone elses work. Be very wary of any you find that will.

There are places that are registered to do third party certification for your own work, and the LABC will accept this as being compliant with the building regulations.

A friend of mine had his work inspected by a particular company (I think it was safeplace electricals) who offer this service. It turns out his LABC use them for electrical work requiring inspection anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back