Legal Shed Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

First time posted here :D Doing lots of work in my house so thought I'd find a decent forum to join for advice.

Anyway before I've even managed to get started in my home, I put a shed up at the side of my garden but my downstairs neighbour has moaned at me to move it cos it's too big

Size (H)203, (W)146, (D)200cm

What is the law on this?

They are saying that they are going to have it taken away also they are going to get the council to move my land back a foot because I've "stolen" some land when my fence was put up a few years ago. The space at the side is wastage space and nobody has ever pulled me up on it before.

{Sorry, Rant over}

any advice would be great please :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
tshirtjohn said:
Anyway before I've even managed to get started in my home, I put a shed up at the side of my garden but my downstairs neighbour has moaned at me to move it cos it's too big
I'm glad they are not my neighbour :!: :cry:
Is that all and they moaning already :!: :rolleyes:
As long it the pitch roof is no higher than 4m and flat roof no higher than 3m and doesn't take more than 50% of your garden area but check with BCO for their free advice or ask for the free planning book as Scotland rules may differ from England
What is the law on this?

They are saying that they are going to have it taken away also they are going to get the council to move my land back a foot because I've "stolen" some land when my fence was put up a few years ago. The space at the side is wastage space and nobody has ever pulled me up on it before.
This not really the forum to give you advice on this one but pop down to see Citizens Advice Bureaux which provide free, confidential and independent advice.

Cheers for the reply

I just phoned the local Development Control, they are sending out planning permission forms :(

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Nothing to worry about, that's normal thing to do.

I really don't want to move it now that they have threatened me on it but if I am forced to move it then I will be raising my fence from 4ft to 6ft :D
Petty I know but what the hell

Don't move it, except that local rules may say it should be a set distance from the boundary. Let them know if they wanted to move they would have to say there was an awkward bloke living next door, so they wouldn't be able to sell their house :D

oilman said:
Don't move it, except that local rules may say it should be a set distance from the boundary. Let them know if they wanted to move they would have to say there was an awkward bloke living next door, so they wouldn't be able to sell their house :D

Even better news today, my parnter and I are wanting to move house but we just got accepted for a nice mortgage and even got a BTL mortgage on the place we got the now so we won't lose it...... revenge is even better when I'll be sitting in a new home knowing I can still control the other one :D These neighbours have put me through hell for the last few years and I thought that they would be decent since I've put up with there noise and hassle for so long.

Hi everyone

First time posted here :D Doing lots of work in my house so thought I'd find a decent forum to join for advice.

What is the law on this?

any advice would be great please :rolleyes:

There's a good summary of the law on outbuildings and the legal shed height here.

The government planning portal has the definative answer on what they term as outbuildings but not always in everyday terms, and remember the local council planning officers are at the end of the phone for advice.

The law has been relaxed and 'permitted development rights' apply in many circumstances meaning you dont need planning permission in most areas where the outbuilding conforms to certain criteria.

probably built it, fallen out with the neighbour and moved house by now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back