neighbours cooker hood extractor not vented to the outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my mothers neighbour has a cooker hood extracting into the roof space which is also the same space as my mums kitchen roof space as there is no dividing wall in the roof. The problem is the extracting pipe does not vent to the outside, just into the roof space. As you can probably imagine the smells are coming through into my mums kitchen. IS THIS LEGAL? It seems like a health risk to me. My mum has told the neighbour but he seems to have no urgency to do anything about it. In fact I think he thinks there is not problem with it how it is, even though my mum has to put up with the smell of rotten fat that is building up in the roof space. DOES ANY BODY KNOW THE REGULATIONS IN THIS MATTER

Sponsored Links
Statutory Nuisance under the EPA 1990

Contact your councils environmental health dept, who will serve an abatement notice on them.

You need to build a fire-break in the roof space too, between the two properties

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back