Which Kind oF extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm getting a showered installed and discovered I'm going to have a buy a new Extractor fan and get someone in to install it.

The bathroom has no windows (tower block) So I want one with a timer built in, my main concern is I want one where the blades wont rattle if there is wind, can anyone recommend some for me to look at. There are so many I'm getting a bit confused. It would be ideal if these is a type after the fan has gone off it locks the blades so they don't move. Hope that makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Do you have access to the outside of the fan hole? You really need to fit some form of vent cover to stop rain blowing in.

Hi

I don't have access to the wall from the outside. The outside of the wall is the services for the tower block. It would be impossible to get to it, however rain wouldn't be an issue as thankfully the roof has been fixed. providing the the back draught shutters are locked when the fan is not in use it should be Ok. If not I'll just blame the council

Thanks for the advice guys

Sponsored Links
I've got one of these which doesn't rattle;
icon15_lg.jpg

It has an iris which opens when on and closes when switched off, the picture here shows it half open. It also stops any backdrafts when closed and for a standard 4" (100mm) vent pipe it pushes out 113 cub metres per hour upto a length of 5 metres. Most others using 4" vent do around 75 mh and max length of vent is 3 metres. It can be flush fitted (recessed into ceiling) but also comes with kit for surface mounting (ceiling or walls).
You can see the whole range and get them from here if your interested;
http://www.iconfan.co.uk/images/products/icon15_lg.jpg
N.B. they all take a small unit which you fit and these units (see them on the site) have many functions for you to select from e.g. timer, standard pull switch, humidity sensors etc, etc.

Thanks again for the info

The price of the Icon products seem a bit steep, but I'm grateful for the suggestions, at least they exist and I know what to look for and compare to.

damoedge said:
Hi

I don't have access to the wall from the outside. The outside of the wall is the services for the tower block. It would be impossible to get to it, however rain wouldn't be an issue as thankfully the roof has been fixed. providing the the back draught shutters are locked when the fan is not in use it should be Ok. If not I'll just blame the council

Thanks for the advice guys
What about birds nesting then, I cannot see the council being too happy about you leaving an opening in the cavity wall

The fan is now being installed on a different wall which is actually the ventilation shaft wall. There was already a standard vent there which has been covered because of the foul smell rising up. So makes more sense to replace the crappy vent and put a thermo-electric shutter fan instead.

The one I'm getting is http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...t=UTF-8&howMany=15&searchText=va100xt&x=0&y=0

In regards to birds nesting, really not bothered about what the council think. I live in a block where they haven't been updated/maintained since they were built in the 1960's, we don't even have double glazing, and constant excuses of them saying they have no money really gives me no care in the world what they think. I'm actually improving the flat by spending my own money and decorating the flat and installing correct/proper ventilation in the bathroom. So whenever I decide to leave some lucky new tenant will have the best bathroom in the block. But I appreciate your concerns all the same :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back