Silicone under / round inset basin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi...I have installed an inset basin in a unit in my bathroom, it's not fixed yet...(fixes with 2 angle brackets underneath)
I need to silicone under and round lip of basin.
In the past I have done this a couple of times round shower trays etc. and always made a mess of it.
In this case the work is very much on show.
Can anyone please give me any tips / advice on making a reasonably decent job?

many thanks....Mike

Sponsored Links
Mask the area off with insulation tape.
Apply the silicone.
Smooth silicone out with wet finger.
Remove tape.
As soon as you've removed the tape, smooth out silicone again with wet finger.

i'd go with what gcol says apart from 2 things,

I use masking tape not leccy tape.

I don't smooth out after i have removed the tape. I just leave it, provided you did your first smoothing okay, it'll look great!

I use insulation tape because it sticks better than masking tape. I do a second smoothing after removing the tape because when you remove the tape it lifts the edge of the silicone seal and it creates a ledge for water to collect, therefore allowing mould to take hold - that's why you smooth out a second time. The smoother the finish the better.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys....do I do this before I fasten it down or after?
It seems like I may have problems either way.
On the one hand I won't get the silicone under the lip, on the other it will squeeze the silicone out and spoil the finish.

....Mike

How long does the silicone stay workable?
I don't want to make a mess of it.

thanks....Mike

Mike63 said:
How long does the silicone stay workable?
Depends what you want to do with it - if you are applying a large amount to a surface before fixing it to another surface then maybe 10-20 mins. If you are talking about how long you can leave it after smoothing before removing the tape, then not long at all. It'll start forming a skin quite quickly so do it as fast as you can. That's why I said "As soon as you've removed the tape, smooth out silicone again with wet finger." You'll only have a couple of minutes before it's formed a skin and will drag when you try to smooth it again.

i would basically run the tape put the silicone in and then smooth immediately. as gcol said it will start to skin over pretty quickly.

the other thing is if you are putting a great wad of silicone in, leave 3-4 days before you use it, as it takes ages to go solid when its in large volumes. If you are just running a bead then the manufacturer's 24-48 hours should be okay

as Gcol ...
may of forgot to say , when you *use the finger* as former/wedge to push smoothe finish the job ....

Please use a cup of fairy liquid with lil water ,dab finger in ...then smoothe job off ..:)
stops the caulk/sili sticking /gunging up your finger ..;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back