Three questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a DIY'er so please be gentle with me.

Plasterboard question...
1) I thought I was going to fit my mixer shower today. I took the hot and cold pipes from the sink and intended to run them under the shower tray and up behind the plasterboard wall.

When I put a hole in the plasterboard I found it has loads of 'card' behind it which will block me shoving the pipes up. I think I'll have to chisel the plasterboard all the way up for each pipe, which will leave a strip of plasterboard about 130mm in between the channels for the pipes. Is there a better way?

Basin waste question...
2) I've fitted a bathroom sink. I've tried putting silicone on the plughole three times and it still leaks. This is what I've done - Before putting the plughole into the sink, I put silicone round the back of the chrome, then round the black seal too. Then I put the plughole in place.

I put silicone round the metal piece that screws up to the plughole from underneath (the one with the rod for the pop-up going to the tap). Then I screw that in place under the sink. I put plenty of silicone on and I wait 24 hours for it to set, so I can't understand why it isn't sealing.

I bought a "basin mate" which I saw recommended on here, but the thread it's supposed to go on is too short for the basin mate and the next metal piece underneath. Can I buy a chrome pop-up waste with a decent length of thread? I could really do with it for tomorrow. I went to Plumb Centre this afternoon and they said they don't do them without a monobloc tap.

Very good question...
3) Why does plumbing have to be so awkward?

Sponsored Links

Plasterboard question...
1) I thought I was going to fit my mixer shower today. I took the hot and cold pipes from the sink and intended to run them under the shower tray and up behind the plasterboard wall.

When I put a hole in the plasterboard I found it has loads of 'card' behind it which will block me shoving the pipes up. I think I'll have to chisel the plasterboard all the way up for each pipe, which will leave a strip of plasterboard about 130mm in between the channels for the pipes. Is there a better way?

Plasterboard and a shower??? :cry:
Very good question...

There wouldn't be anything to post questions about if it wasn't. :evil:

Are you saying I can't fit a shower to a plasterboard wall? It's tiled, so I'm sure it should be strong enough.

Do you know how to run the pipes behind the plasterboard, when it's got dozens of sheets of cardboard running across?

aqua panel is better than plasterboard comes in same size sheets and is designed for wet conditions as a shower.
plasterboard is used in many cases in showers but not the best.
cut the panel out fit all your pipework and mixer if concealed then fit a new sheet.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying I can't fit a shower to a plasterboard wall? It's tiled, so I'm sure it should be strong enough.

Do you know how to run the pipes behind the plasterboard, when it's got dozens of sheets of cardboard running across?

Just knock a piece of 15 MM copper tube or similar down through the plasterboard to clear the cardboard then insert your pipe-work for the shower.

Tracy,

that black seal that you have put under the plug might go underneath the sink, and is what seals the overflow notches.

I made the same mistake 3 times too before the guys in the plumbing shop had a chuckle!

not being sarcastic, (for a change), insurance against water damage would be a good investment.

Very good question...

That a very good question and serves to demonstrate that a competent plumber is a very useful tradesman!

Those who look down on them as ignorant uneducated workers to be treated with disdain should think again!

Tony

Very good question...

That a very good question and serves to demonstrate that a competent plumber is a very useful tradesman!

Those who look down on them as ignorant uneducated workers to be treated with disdain should think again!

Tony

Believe me Tony, I know plumbers are skilled workers. There's more to plumbing than joining pipes together like lego. I think their reputation is going up anyway, since they're able to charge decent prices for sticking their heads down other people's toilets!

Tracy you can literall do anything but wether it will last is another matter!

Plasterboard is plenty strong enough but fit your tiles and no matter how well you fit them, grout them and seal the pipes the tiles, will from day one, expand and contract causing minute cracks in the joints. In a shower you have running water down these tiles and capillary action will draw the water through and slowly rot the plasterboard until if you lean on wall you go through! Seen it all too often.

Doubt the effect of capillary action then get two pieces of glass together and lower one end into water. The water is drawn up between the glass sheets. That is exactly what will happen within a year of so!!

I'm not sure this wall is actually plasterboard, it just looks like what I'd call plasterboard. It is a bit odd because of the card behind it.

As suggested, I tried knocking some copper pipe up through the cardboard, but there was a plastic bracket there which was hiding an electrical cable. Anyway, I've dug out a channel now and the pipe goes in there fine. I back making progress again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back